Callum and Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Gondor

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Callum and Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Gondor

Tue May 31, 2016 12:21 am

To fight our Uruk Hai the army of Gondor is mustered.

The main army deployed for action:
Gondor Knights on the right wing, those in front have shields and in front of each rider is his dismounted equivalent.

Centre Infantry

The left wing with the knights of Dol Amroth

Command

Artillery Support - Callum "needed" a trebuchet so I had to make one from strips of hardwood - actually sticks from fired Guy Fawkes rocket fireworks picked up last November and coffee stirrers. Crew from a bundle bought on ebay. It actually works!

He also needed a ballista (from ebay)

Blackroot Vale archers - Callum wanted these for their special abilities so I had to make them from left over Perry, Frostgrave etc plastics

I needed lots of cloaks so I used the tin foil from Kenco MIllicano coffee. The shape was made by pressing a plastic cloak into the foil as a former and then cutting it out.

I have more to convert and paint!

Site Admin

Re: Callum and Grandad's Middle Earth Armies - Gondor

Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 am

I needed lots of cloaks so I used the tin foil from Kenco MIllicano coffee. The shape was made by pressing a plastic cloak into the foil as a former and then cutting it out.

I am going to have to try this. I've done some with Greenstuff, but this looks better.
Do they keep their shapes reasonably well?

Squire

Tue May 31, 2016 5:13 am

The home -made trebuchet is really impressive!

Villager

Tue May 31, 2016 11:50 pm

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:I am going to have to try this. I've done some with Greenstuff, but this looks better.
Do they keep their shapes reasonably well?

They have lasted without a problem for 4 battles including being transported on a train to three of them.

I used the Kenco foil because I had it and it was quite stiff. It comes with a pattern on it so I smoothed the pattern out by laying foil on a sooth surface and rubbing it over with a spoon until the pattern was gone. The ridges on the cloak provide strength but the cloak can be fitted around sword hilts, pouches, legs etc. If you can stick the cloak to the figure with a glue like UHU. This fills gaps and strengthens the join.

Return to General Discussions