Harad [WOTR]

Build me an army worthy of Mordor! For discussions of tactics and army lists for the War of the Ring game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Harad [WOTR]

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:11 am

Hey everyone,

Seeing as this is my first post, just a quick bit of background- I've been in the game for about 7 years (LOTR, 40k, WHFB and Necromunda) but I kinda took the last year or two off to focus on my HSC. I am a massive Tolkien enthusiast and with the WOTR game really starting to catch on I decided now was the perfect time to get back into the hobby. :)

I'm planning on ordering my WOTR book later today and I'd like to order some new models along with it, but I'm not sure what to get because I don't know what the limitations are in the new game. Could someone tell me if there's still a 33% bow limit like there was in the old game, and whether there's a cavalry limit as well? I've already got a Mumak, Suladan and some warriors sitting here, and I'd like to add some more Raiders and Warriors but I don't want an illegal army. A couple more specific questions- does anyone know if Raiders are automatically equipped with bows, and whether they can be traded away? I want as many warriors with bows as possible and I find Raiders with bows fairly useless since I use them as shock troops. One more question- does anyone know if the models in the howdah count towards the model limit/bow limit?

This is the plan for the army list so far (the GW guys kindly let me take a look at the points for each model, but I forgot to check bow limits etc.)

Suladan 150
The Betrayer 125

3 x Companies of Haradrim Warriors (unsure of armament) 75
Captain, Hasharin, Banner, Hornblower (145 I think)
4 x Companies of Haradrim Raiders (unsure of armament) 100
Banner/Captain, if available
1 x War Mumak of Harad 250

So far: 850pts

Thanks heaps guys :)
Ilm

Squire

Re: Harad [WOTR]

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:31 am

theres no bow limit,or cavalry limit in WOTR. they start with lances, hand weapons, the bows cost 5pts per company. so you can have everybody in your army with a bow, and no the mumak counts as a single model, but it starts with the 13 modles on the howdah. So far your army list looks ok but if you have epic heros you dont really need the captains/harashii which can free up alot of points for more warriors.
"Don't tell the elf"- Gimli
"Not a word"- Aragorn

Villager

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 am

Are you serious??? That's awesome! And no limit on cavalry too... wow! In the future my army will definately be consisting entirely of Raiders with lances backed up by warriors with bows :). Unfortunately for the moment I'll have to include all the warriors I've got because I'm slightly short of the 1000pt mark I need to be for the day- hence the presence of Epic Heroes and as many captains as possible. Not necessarily competitive, but it's better to play and lose than not to play at all! Do people think warriors with spears are useful anyway, to support the Mumak? I remember in SBG you always needed a screen of cheapies in front of the Mumak to prevent it being charged before it could trample, but I don't know if it'll be the same in WOTR.

Ranger

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:12 am

Ilmarinen wrote:Do people think warriors with spears are useful anyway, to support the Mumak? I remember in SBG you always needed a screen of cheapies in front of the Mumak to prevent it being charged before it could trample, but I don't know if it'll be the same in WOTR.

In WotR Mumak counts as an elevated position - ie. he is visible to everyboy even when he's behind forests and other formations, only hills can protect him, so there is no in the way rolls or anything (there are no ITW in WotR normally either), everybody shoots normally (except artillery gets a negative modifier to hit).

I usually try to have a hero/epic hero per formation, but putting a full command into a formation of 3 companies of D4 warriors (with the number of attacks people usually get, you'll be losing 1-2 companies per fight) is just a waste of points.

Magic is a little bit overpowered, but some people play with a limit of 1 level per 200 points to balance it out.

Oh and Epic Heroes can't sit on top of the Mumak just in case you wondered :)

I'd reccommend 2-3 Formations of 4-6 Riders, each with an Epic Hero, Mumak and 1-2 Formations of 4-6 Warriors (or if you want archers mainly, then 3-6 formations of 2 companies of archers with no command)
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Villager

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Mumakil are great but remember to keep them away from your infantry as they don't last when they are being trampled by a mumak. I find that Queen Beruthiel is ace at keeping enemies away from a mumak. They are not likely to charge the mumak as they have to go through her and if the enemy is on the other side of the mumak then she can go through it due to her special rule.

Return to WOTR Army Building & Tactics