[WotR] 1500 pts. Mordor

Build me an army worthy of Mordor! For discussions of tactics and army lists for the War of the Ring game.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

[WotR] 1500 pts. Mordor

Sun May 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Just mocked up this list. I've played VERY few WotR games so far, but I've been challenged for a game. We're both casual players with little experience in WotR (but experience in other games), so this one is intended as a casual game.

Epic Heroes:

The Witch-King of Angmar on Fell Beast
Khamûl the Easterling (starts in the Morannon Orc formation)

Legendary formations:
Grishnákh's Trackers (2 companies)

Rare formations:
The Black Guard of Barad-Dûr (3 companies with banner and captain)

Common formations:
Morannon Orcs (4 companies with banner and captain)

Battlehost:
Gorgoroth Orc horde (12 companies with banner, captain, shaman and taskmaster)

Fates:
The Eye of Sauron

Thoughts? Suggestions? Perhaps drop the Mordor Shaman for a Troll?
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Standard Bearer

Re: [WotR] 1500 pts. Mordor

Sun May 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Whoops, seems like I posted this in the wrong part of the forum. :oops:
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Standard Bearer

Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 am

I would say yes to the troll over shaman cause you have plenty of magic. but you would need another common formation to take the rare troll.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Ranger

Mon May 16, 2011 10:09 am

You have too few formations. I know it seems there's a lot of stuff and it will be fun to test everything out to see how it works, but the army is a bit small and doesn't have any counter-big-epics stuff. Mordor actually isn't overpowered at all if you don't use multi-wraiths, but as I said it looks ok for a friendly game to see how things work.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Standard Bearer

Wed May 18, 2011 3:01 am

actually I am on a winning streak in WotR without using any wraiths. Don't underestimate Mordor in the right hands with the right tactics. and no Morgul knights. no Black guard. pretty much the oposite of what everyone thinks you need in a mordor army.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Ranger

Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 am

Well actually, I think Black Guard and Morgul Knights are both rubbish :P And I said that it isn't overpowered, not that it is underpowered, which is a pretty significant difference, because without Wraiths you can still fight against many armies, just you won't have such a big advantage like with 5 Pall of Nights.

On the other hand I think Moria is a far more competitive army than Mordor when Mordor doesn't use multi-wraiths, and even with multi-wraiths I've had a pretty good winrate using Moria. If you have the ability to fill up commons with wargs and spiders, rares with blackshields, then not only you have similar number of infantry companies to a multi-wraith army, in addition you have around once as many cavalry companies too.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Return to WOTR Army Building & Tactics