Army Painting Challenge 2013 January - June

Having trouble getting anything painted?
Join the challenge

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Army Painting Challenge 2013 January - June

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Army Painting Challenge Rules:

Aim:
The aim of this challenge is to paint an entire army over the course of the half year, which can be for WotR or SBG.

Unable to participate?:
As people are not always able to paint every month, every member has 1 “real life cards” which they can use. Simply put, they do not have to participate that month.
As the aim is to try to paint a new army or expand a current army, participants must have proof pictures of the unpainted miniatures.
- In this case an unpainted miniature is one which is primed, unpainted, still on the sprue, a model before repainting, or with a basic basecoat (no more than one colour). This is because not everyone can remember to take pictures of their unpainted miniature before they begin to paint (if you have any problems with this, send me a pm or leave a message in this thread).
Participants also have 1 “updated army cards” which they can use – they must have made some of their models look better than before or finished previously unfinished models e.g. painting White Hands on 10 Uruk-Hai Warriors or repainting the metal on 8 Warriors of Minas Tirith.

You must choose one army that you want to paint over the half year; although you may choose to change it in the first month, but not after.

How much to paint:
If painting for WotR, you choose one of the army lists from the rulebook which you must paint for, including allies after that. At least half of the companies in your army must be from your chosen army list.
If painting for SBG, you choose one of the army lists from LoME, and then may include allies after that. At least half of the models from your army must be from your chosen army list.

Some models count as more than one model/company, as listed below:
War Mûmak (+ commander) – 10 Models/Companies
- War Mûmak crew (Wotr only) – 1 Company
Trolls – 3 Models/Companies
Cave Trolls/Chariots – 2 Models/Companies
Other Monsters – 5 Models/Companies
Mounts (SBG only) - 1 Model
- If a Hero also comes under one of the other categories increase the number of models/formations the other category counts as by 1 e.g. a Khandish King in Chariot is a Chariot (2 Models/1 Company) and a Hero, so is worth 3 Models/Companies.
If you think that any of these should be changed, then leave a message in this thread or pm me.

For SBG you must paint at least 30 models by the end of the half year (on average 5 per month), which must cost a minimum of 400 Points. (If you join in month 2 this is decreased to 25 models for 350 points, after month 2 this is 25 models for 300 points.)
For WotR you must paint at least 15 Companies by the end of the year (on average 2.5 per month), which must cost a minimum of 500 Points. (If you join in month 2 this is decreased to 12 companies for 450 points, after month 2 this is 10 companies for 400 points.)
Alternatively, you may wish to instead paint your army in one go, in which case posting WIP pictures each month is sufficient (If you are unsure what I mean, look at Hixont's Thread).
Once this has been completed you do not have to continue to paint for the challenge, although may choose to do so.
Posting your army list to start is not necessary, just as long as your finished army costs at least the total posted above.

Your thread
Also, in regards to each separate thread per participant, the owner of the thread could change their title depending on what they were currently doing:

Participant - Army - Month Year - Action
- The first four letters of your username are all that are required, or initials if your name contains multiple words.
CGoM - Durin's Folk - July 2012 - RLC
- RLC stands for Real Life Card. This shows that I'm not participating this month.
-
CGoM - Durin's Folk - August 2012 - Proof
- Proof would then be changed to WIP if I put pictures of unfinished models up that have been started, or to finished when that month has been completed
-
CGoM - Durin's Folk - September 2012 - Finished UAC
- UAM stands for Updated Army Card. This would show that I have finished the month, but have only updated my army, instead of painting new units.

Voting:
At the end of the half year the community will vote for their favourite army (no voting for yourself), and the winner will be the person with the most votes and will have bragging rights, and may attach the following line to their signature (or some other reward - such as having them army placed in a hall of fame, like that of the current competitions).

I won the army painting challenge.
Those who finish can put:
I finished the army painting challenge.
Those who paint the most models (SBG) or most companies (Wotr) can attach the following to their signature:
I painted the most companies in the army painting challenge.
I painted the most models in the army painting challenge.

Obviously all who have these in their signature will have the respect of the entire community (even more than they already do).

Notices:
- Alternative models are allowed, for instance, if you wish to use Gripping Beasts Vikings as Dunlendings, this is allowed. If you are unsure of something, pm me or leave a question in this thread
- If you have any queries just ask, either in this thread, or in a pm (to me).
- Also, if you have any improvements that could be made to the challenge, leave a comment in this thread.
- The voting for the previous challenge will be put up soon, so keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for reading, and anyone can participate, just start your thread in this forum.
Last edited by Chris Guard of Mardat on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Villager

Re: Army Painting Challenge 2013 January - June

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:16 pm

I'd love to join in, but the army I'm building doesn't add up to 15 formations, and I'm not of the pocket that I can buy extra miniatures just to paint. Good luck with it to everyone else however.

Standard Bearer

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Would lowering the amount of formations needed be better? So 12, 10, 8 (or 10, 9, 8 (any other suggestions welcome)) instead of 15, 12, 10 be better? I don't really play WotR (and when I have it was at 1000 Points, think I played one game at 500) so my experience at that points level is limited.

Godless-Mimicry wrote:I'd love to join in, but the army I'm building doesn't add up to 15 formations, and I'm not of the pocket that I can buy extra miniatures just to paint. Good luck with it to everyone else however.

Want to pm me the army you plan on building?

Villager

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Chris Guard of Mardat wrote:Would lowering the amount of formations needed be better? So 12, 10, 8 (or 10, 9, 8 (any other suggestions welcome)) instead of 15, 12, 10 be better? I don't really play WotR (and when I have it was at 1000 Points, think I played one game at 500) so my experience at that points level is limited.

Godless-Mimicry wrote:I'd love to join in, but the army I'm building doesn't add up to 15 formations, and I'm not of the pocket that I can buy extra miniatures just to paint. Good luck with it to everyone else however.

Want to pm me the army you plan on building?

My gaming group play at 2000pts, and most of the lists have about 7-9 formations on average, not including Epic Heroes, so 15 seems like a lot. Or perhaps you are mixing up formations and companies? If it would help you arrange something I will gladly PM you the list.

Standard Bearer

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:58 am

Godless-Mimicry wrote:My gaming group play at 2000pts, and most of the lists have about 7-9 formations on average, not including Epic Heroes, so 15 seems like a lot. Or perhaps you are mixing up formations and companies? If it would help you arrange something I will gladly PM you the list.

You are correct, I was getting confused between Companies and Formations (although it only occurs once in the rules) :roll: It should be 15 Companies. Does that seem too few though?

Villager

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Chris Guard of Mardat wrote:
Godless-Mimicry wrote:My gaming group play at 2000pts, and most of the lists have about 7-9 formations on average, not including Epic Heroes, so 15 seems like a lot. Or perhaps you are mixing up formations and companies? If it would help you arrange something I will gladly PM you the list.

You are correct, I was getting confused between Companies and Formations (although it only occurs once in the rules) :roll: It should be 15 Companies. Does that seem too few though?

Assuming the average formation is 4 companies, then 15 makes for 4 formations, which with a character or two could make a 1000pts army. I think most people play 1500pts so it depends on whether or not you want the scope to go under or beyond the exact of your average game.

Squire

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:54 am

Sounds like a great way to get me painting! I will definitely join! How do I make it official?
"I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories" - Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Standard Bearer

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 pm

TurgonofGondolin wrote:Sounds like a great way to get me painting! I will definitely join! How do I make it official?

Just post your thread :)

Godless-Mimicry wrote:Assuming the average formation is 4 companies, then 15 makes for 4 formations, which with a character or two could make a 1000pts army. I think most people play 1500pts so it depends on whether or not you want the scope to go under or beyond the exact of your average game.

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier; I think I'll leave it at 15 for now

Villager

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:19 am

Is this still on? can we vote yet?

:)
King of the North!!

Return to Army Painting Challenge