All Books Discussion and Questions

All questions or things you think are wrong about the new book to be posted here. Will collate into a long list and get it sent off after a while!

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: All Books Discussion and Questions

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 am

It's particularly useful for warriors that can't shield. Dwarven archers with the strength boost gives them a chance to improve their chances to kill opposing models, especially when they are used to trap opposing models.

Standard Bearer

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Lords of Battle victory conditions:
"Every time an enemy model suffers a wound..." +1 VP

A cavalry model is a single model and the horse can be wounded seperately of the rider (refer to Volley Fire rules).

Do I get 1 VP for each wound on the mount of an enemy model if I kill it first? For example I shoot the horse out from underneath a Knight of Minas Tirith and then I kill the knight in close combat later in the game. It's the same model according to the rules. One is a cavalry model and the other is an infantry model.

Squire

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 am

Many of the upgrades are dubiously useful, but I don't think any of them qualify as FAQ questions. If I'm playing Elves, with a Courage 7 Commander who can cast Aura of Command, the last thing I want to do is pay more so they have higher Courage, that doesn't mean Celeborn's rule is unclear or in need of an official explanation. It just means GW are a weird bunch.

Squire

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:48 am

Is a Spider Queen unique? The 2012 "Heroes of Middle Earth" say she is. The wording of her rules has changed since then though.

In Fall of the Necromancer the entry is for "The Spider Queen" and the rules text is consistently singular. Eg. "The Spider Queen can climb..." "The Spider Queen is infested..." etc...

In Moria & Angmar as well as Mordor the name changes to "Spider Queen" dropping the "the". The rules text also shifts to (mostly) plural. E.g. "Spider Queens move..." "A Spider Queen must..." "In the turn in which a Spider Queen charges..." The new progeny rule still uses "The Spider Queen" (presumably just to irritate me, the fluff also describes multiples).

Seriously guys. WTF. This has come up before, be explicit about it. Every other profile is clear from context, but given her peculiar history can we have an explicit word on how the Spider Queen works? Fall of the Necromancer talked about her as if she were unique. The LoME faq said she was non-unique, the HoME faq said she was unique, and now the rules wording suggests she's gone back to non-unique. As an extra poke in the eye the fluff description in the Moria entry describes multiples, while the fluff description in Mordor describes an individual. Take mercy upon a poor soul and specify.

Squire

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 pm

How do models off the board effect break point in Reconnoitre?
I assume its the same as the old scenario but I can't remember there either ;).

The 25% condition says reduced so they count for that pretty clearly.

Break point says "half of the starting numbers have been lost" so it seems you compare your actual casualties to the starting numbers?

Additionally; the victory condition on leaders say "If you kill .." and leave no provisor for courage tests, that should presumably be FAQ'ed too.
An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”
The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Ranger

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Ring_of_Gyges wrote:Is a Spider Queen unique? The 2012 "Heroes of Middle Earth" say she is. The wording of her rules has changed since then though.

In Fall of the Necromancer the entry is for "The Spider Queen" and the rules text is consistently singular. Eg. "The Spider Queen can climb..." "The Spider Queen is infested..." etc...

In Moria & Angmar as well as Mordor the name changes to "Spider Queen" dropping the "the". The rules text also shifts to (mostly) plural. E.g. "Spider Queens move..." "A Spider Queen must..." "In the turn in which a Spider Queen charges..." The new progeny rule still uses "The Spider Queen" (presumably just to irritate me, the fluff also describes multiples).

Seriously guys. WTF. This has come up before, be explicit about it. Every other profile is clear from context, but given her peculiar history can we have an explicit word on how the Spider Queen works? Fall of the Necromancer talked about her as if she were unique. The LoME faq said she was non-unique, the HoME faq said she was unique, and now the rules wording suggests she's gone back to non-unique. As an extra poke in the eye the fluff description in the Moria entry describes multiples, while the fluff description in Mordor describes an individual. Take mercy upon a poor soul and specify.

Fall of the Necromancer is gone, LoME is gone, HoME was LoME so it's oudated. Forget about them.

The Spider Queen in Mordor has 'THE' next to the name and can lead troops, so it's individual.
Spider Queen in Moria is Independent and lacks "THE", so it's counted as a named hero.

Squire

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:54 pm

hixont wrote:Lords of Battle victory conditions:
"Every time an enemy model suffers a wound..." +1 VP

A cavalry model is a single model and the horse can be wounded seperately of the rider (refer to Volley Fire rules).

Do I get 1 VP for each wound on the mount of an enemy model if I kill it first? For example I shoot the horse out from underneath a Knight of Minas Tirith and then I kill the knight in close combat later in the game. It's the same model according to the rules. One is a cavalry model and the other is an infantry model.

According to the FAQ one simply replaces one model with another. Cavalry is a single model and you have only replaced that model with another (without any loss of wounds on it's profile). I think the key word here is model. So no VP. I would see it in a similar vein as picking up a banner by a model in base contact, you have not lost the banner, just replaced the model that picked it up with a model that has a banner.

I dislike that scenario, especially the fate VP's. EX. I had two castellans, and while I am unsure if we played it correctly ( either way I would have lost ) by using the castellans will as fate I added VP's to my opponent simply because they were in my army before we rolled up the scenario and I rolled the fate.

I think it says every time you use a point of fate, and I was technically using will so we may have played that wrong. I don't have my book with me to check.
http://richmondwarmancers.blogspot.com/ a space for news, hobby tips, battle reports and opinion on Lord of The Rings, Battlefleet Gothic and both warhammer systems.

Warrior

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 pm

THE spider queen is the named character (the undying, the tainted, the kamul ;)
Spider queen I would view like King of the Dead, King of Men, Dwarf King etc... ie take one and don't be a tart. 2 spider queens would more likely eat each other's ospring than fight the enemy

Standard Bearer

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm

The Black Sword wrote:Additionally; the victory condition on leaders say "If you kill .." and leave no provisor for courage tests, that should presumably be FAQ'ed too.

The rules state that any model that routs from the game is counted as a casaulty. Casaulty = Kill in this context.

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 am

Do Fury saves count for VPs in the scenarios that count Fate saves as VPs? This would be the evil equivalent of Malbeth when facing grubby the goblin king and a shaman.

PreviousNext
Return to FAQ for the 2012 SBG Books