Kingdoms of Men Book errata and FAQ questions only

All questions or things you think are wrong about the new book to be posted here. Will collate into a long list and get it sent off after a while!

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: Kingdoms of Men Book errata and FAQ questions only

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:00 am

Ar-Pharazon wrote:You do need the strenght actually. Gandalf or any other rider could be targeted with the spell "Wither" used by the Dol Guldor Shaman :) .

Ahh thats who has the strength nerf, i was trying to look for it but i kept thinking i had only seen it in WotR. So yeah this horse has really been nerfed and i have no idea why. Don't think it was over powered before but Eorl is underpowered now!!

Standard Bearer

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Eorl is underpowered because his horse isn't as strong incase it gets withered by one shaman in the whole game...? o.O

Villager

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

ukrocky wrote:Eorl is underpowered because his horse isn't as strong incase it gets withered by one shaman in the whole game...? o.O

Not just his horse, his whole profile is messed up and as is underpowered. His defence should be higher considering his wargear. His horse should be optional like sharku's warg. His horse should have better stats like it deserves and the profiles points cost demands.
If you compare him to a captain of rohan and a son of eorl, calculate the appropriate point comparisons and account for MWF and the profile is underpowered/overpriced. I would post the math/points comparison but i'm not aloud, hes about 20% too much though and hes a named profile.

Also any number of shamens can be upgraded to dol guldur shamens, and I see it becomming a used strategy for tackling Good side's fighting heroes.

Standard Bearer

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 pm

adragonsfang wrote:
ukrocky wrote:Eorl is underpowered because his horse isn't as strong incase it gets withered by one shaman in the whole game...? o.O

Not just his horse, his whole profile is messed up and as is underpowered. His defence should be higher considering his wargear. His horse should be optional like sharku's warg. His horse should have better stats like it deserves and the profiles points cost demands.
If you compare him to a captain of rohan and a son of eorl, calculate the appropriate point comparisons and account for MWF and the profile is underpowered/overpriced. I would post the math/points comparison but i'm not aloud, hes about 20% too much though and hes a named profile.

Also any number of shamens can be upgraded to dol guldur shamens, and I see it becomming a used strategy for tackling Good side's fighting heroes.

Agreed, but this would mean having to spend 250 points on the Necromancer, who -in my opinion- isn't worth his points, especially not with Ringwraiths available.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Standard Bearer

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:29 pm

My honest opinion is that at GT you'll see prociselsly 0 shamans with wither. IMO it's a terrible idea/method to get rid of heroes. You need to have the necromancer and then preferably 2-3 shamans with wither (so 9 will available, thats if you don't cast fury). The enemy heroes then have will to resist and it doesn't effect a fair few heroes, and I don't think heroes will be all that bothered, it lowers their killing potential slightly but they still have their support roles/might to affect the game with.

So you've essentially spent 400ish points lowering my strength to 3 from 4 on a few heroes, which is only benefitial if you're not D5. That, or you could spend 340pts and rip some face with 2 named ringwraiths on fellbeast....

Villager

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 am

ukrocky wrote:My honest opinion is that at GT you'll see prociselsly 0 shamans with wither. IMO it's a terrible idea/method to get rid of heroes. You need to have the necromancer and then preferably 2-3 shamans with wither (so 9 will available, thats if you don't cast fury). The enemy heroes then have will to resist and it doesn't effect a fair few heroes, and I don't think heroes will be all that bothered, it lowers their killing potential slightly but they still have their support roles/might to affect the game with.

So you've essentially spent 400ish points lowering my strength to 3 from 4 on a few heroes, which is only benefitial if you're not D5. That, or you could spend 340pts and rip some face with 2 named ringwraiths on fellbeast....

Maybe I'll come to GT and bring the necromancer and shamens, then you can eat you words lol :)
But back on subject, you can see now though that Eorl is messed up in several ways, I'd be surprised if you saw an Eorl at GT when its better value just to get captains and Sons of Eorl.

Standard Bearer

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:12 pm

If I take my sons of Eorl army to GT I reckon I'd take Eorl just for his might special rule. He's really not that messed up.

Squire

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:39 pm

IIRC Eorl has always looked pretty good value. You do realise his special rule essentially doubles his might total?

I reckon the only reason you saw so little of him previously was due to his list limitations in LOME. He's one of the best Rohan heroes IMO.
An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”
The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Standard Bearer

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:19 pm

So I hate to open up a can of worms here, but I just realized something that could lead to some confusion. Once again, it is a RAW vs. designer's intent sort of thing. We pretty much agreed that "Heroes and Warriors of Arnor" in Aragorn, Isildur's Heir's entry ment all of them, including Rangers of Arnor, right? Well, Grimbold's entry states "Warriors of Rohan". If we agree that Aragorn's special rule applies to Rangers of Arnor, because they're listed under the heading "Warriors of Arnor", then this would mean that we can upgrade Rohan Royal Guard, Outriders and Riders of Rohan to Helmingas, as they are listed under the "Warriors of Rohan" heading.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Warrior

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:34 am

GrashnarTheSecond wrote:So I hate to open up a can of worms here, but I just realized something that could lead to some confusion. Once again, it is a RAW vs. designer's intent sort of thing. We pretty much agreed that "Heroes and Warriors of Arnor" in Aragorn, Isildur's Heir's entry ment all of them, including Rangers of Arnor, right? Well, Grimbold's entry states "Warriors of Rohan". If we agree that Aragorn's special rule applies to Rangers of Arnor, because they're listed under the heading "Warriors of Arnor", then this would mean that we can upgrade Rohan Royal Guard, Outriders and Riders of Rohan to Helmingas, as they are listed under the "Warriors of Rohan" heading.

I'd say you have to take it in context, because in both cases there are double meanings of the phrases, but they are vastly different rules. I've never seen anyone try give a RRG +1 strength, so people appear to be assuming correctly.

Also, on Eorl, I think he's perfectly balanced. Some games he's just a decent combat hero, so perhaps slightly overcosted, but in others he'll pull off 5 free heroic combats and win games on his own.
War is not about who's right, but who's left.

PreviousNext
Return to FAQ for the 2012 SBG Books