Fallen Realms Book errata and FAQ questions only

All questions or things you think are wrong about the new book to be posted here. Will collate into a long list and get it sent off after a while!

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: Fallen Realms Book errata and FAQ questions only

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:52 am

hithero wrote:The Mumak and chief is one, you just then add up to 12 warriors as normal.

'That still only counts as one!'
LOTR GT 2010 - 4th!!!
LOTR Doubles GT 2010 - 25th!!!
LOTR GT 2011 - 18th!!! + The Fellowship Award
LOTR Doubles GT 2011 - 6th!!!
LOTR GT 2012 - 12th!!!
LOTR Doubles GT 2012 - 30th!!! Worst result but most fun yet!!!

Warrior

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Keithio the Green wrote:
hithero wrote:The Mumak and chief is one, you just then add up to 12 warriors as normal.

'That still only counts as one!'

Lotrchampion likes this quote.

[/offtopic]

:)
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Villager

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Okey guys, a few more questions from Poland. Maybe some of them are here, but anyway:

1. Why Mumakil doesn't have the Dead Weight special rule if Great Beast from Gorgoroth has it ?
2. Does Betrayer special rule work on Venomblade upgreade option for Black Numeror Warriors ?
3. Why there is no Uruk-hai drummer profile ?
4. Does Grima have to be deployed with enemy warband ?
5. Why Thrydan, who is supposed to be great chiftein, have the same fight value as normal Dunland Chief ?
6. Coudn't Lurz be 5 pkt cheaper but with option to buy a bow ?
7. Is there a possibility to upgreade Haradrim Rider for Warrior of Kharna ?
8. Does the Easterling Drummer effect is cummulative with Mordor Troll Drummer effect ?
9. Can Bo'Sun use his own Special Rule

Warrior

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Kevin wrote:Okey guys, a few more questions from Poland. Maybe some of them are here, but anyway:

1. Why Mumakil doesn't have the Dead Weight special rule if Great Beast from Gorgoroth has it ?
2. Does Betrayer special rule work on Venomblade upgreade option for Black Numeror Warriors ?
3. Why there is no Uruk-hai drummer profile ?
4. Does Grima have to be deployed with enemy warband ?
5. Why Thrydan, who is supposed to be great chiftein, have the same fight value as normal Dunland Chief ?
6. Coudn't Lurz be 5 pkt cheaper but with option to buy a bow ?
7. Is there a possibility to upgreade Haradrim Rider for Warrior of Kharna ?
8. Does the Easterling Drummer effect is cummulative with Mordor Troll Drummer effect ?
9. Can Bo'Sun use his own Special Rule

1. Perhaps because the Mumak and great beast a not the same and thus have different rules
2. Done to death already, but a good question nonetheless
3. Another good question, but already noted on the FAQ list
4. Grimas deployment rules are quite clear and specific, they also do not appear to be optional.
5. This is supposed to be FAQs, not "I think unit x should be better"
6. As far as I can recall Lurtz has always come with a bow apart of the package, probably because in the film he actually had one...
7. This one is rather obvious from the book
8. Unsure as I don't have the mordor book to refer to, but note that the easterling drum only affects Easterlings and khandish models within its range.
9. I'd lean towards yes, but that's possibly one for the FAQ
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Standard Bearer

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Two orcs drummers are not cumulative so why would a troll drum and the kataphract drum be cumulative? They do the same thing.

Warrior

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am

Got an answer to the drum question.

All drums give the bearer access to an ability called "Sound the advance", the rules specify that models in the range of 1 or more friendly models sounding the advance get the benefits, so none of the drums in the game are cumulative. there are minor differences between them, for example the Kataphrakt drum only affects Easterling and Khandish models.

It would be interesting to know of Khamul counts as an easterling for the purposes of the Kataphrakt drum, and for Amdur's banner ability.

A few other things I'd like clarified about the Easterling drummer
1. Can the Kataphrakt drummer continue to use his drum on foot if his horse is killed?
2. Does the drum in any way effect the kataphrakt's ability to carry or use his shield, for example can he use the shielding rule if dismounted whilst still using the drum?

Istari

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Spiney Norman wrote:A few other things I'd like clarified about the Easterling drummer
1. Can the Kataphrakt drummer continue to use his drum on foot if his horse is killed?
2. Does the drum in any way effect the kataphrakt's ability to carry or use his shield, for example can he use the shielding rule if dismounted whilst still using the drum?

There are no rules saying otherwise, so yes to both questions but you will need a dismounted drummer model.

Warrior

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm

hithero wrote:
Spiney Norman wrote:A few other things I'd like clarified about the Easterling drummer

There are no rules saying otherwise, so yes to both questions but you will need a dismounted drummer model.

I understand that the rules work that way, it just feels as though they overlooked it. The way rules work in lotr is generally a lot more sensible than in warhammer fantasy, so for example whereas my warhammer banner bearer can hold his banner and simultaneously fight with a two handed weapon in the same turn as he shoots with a bow in lotr things don't work that way.

Logically a kataphrakt shouldn't be able to fight effectively with a shield when he has a drum stick in both hands, in addition, from the model the drum definitely seems to be attached to the Kataphrakts saddle, rather than carried under the arm (which might explain why there is no drum available to easterling infantry).

I suppose the rules for drums feel a little unfinished, and that they should be covered in a similar way that banners are, but I suppose that might come when the core rules get updated for the hobbit.

Standard Bearer

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:55 pm

When drums acted as banners the -1 combat pehalty was in effect. Refer to the last version of the troll drum. When they are just used for advancement there is no penalty. I'm sure GW is trying to get some models into play more often than they are.

khamul the Easterling is by definition an Easterling. It's part of his name and this was answered in the older FAQs. So yes he flies at 13" and can reroll combat when near the kataphract drum or Amdûr.
Last edited by hixont on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranger

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm

and can benefit from the War Priest.

PreviousNext
Return to FAQ for the 2012 SBG Books