FAQ Questions for the Hobbit Rulebook

All questions or things you think are wrong about the new book to be posted here. Will collate into a long list and get it sent off after a while!

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: FAQ Questions for the Hobbit Rulebook

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

Shadowswarm wrote:
GrashnarTheSecond wrote:
Shadowswarm wrote:Previously, most war gear wasnt mentioned in a units profile. It was assumed that the model would have some kind of weapon on them. Is this still in effect? Are units like the goblin king stuck using his 2h weapon? or can he fight with a normal weapon as well?

Hobbit rulebook, p. 67, Single-handed weapons. ;)

So yes, he has a 1h weapon, but can I make this weapon into a specific weapon? ie an axe?

I'm not sure if you can because of the FAQ:
"Q: A model that carries more than one hand weapon can
choose which weapon to use during each Fight (including
their appropriate special strikes). Does this mean that if I
model a selection of different hand weapons onto a model,
I will be free to pick and choose my choice of hand
weapon? (p67)
A: No. Models only carry a single hand weapon unless
they are upgraded to carry additional weapons (such as a
spear), or wield more than one weapon as part of a
special rule (as with the Hunter Orcsʼ Many Blades special
rule, for example)."

Ps: put the answer in your reply, there are plenty of people who browse these forums, and it saves them the trouble of finding it :P

But what about models that are modeled with more than one type of Hand Weapon, like the Iron Guard, who carry both a shortsword, a throwing axe, and a normal axe?

The question about picking for each attack also applies, since one hand-weapon is a sword, and the other an axe, can one attack be a feint, and another a piercing strike? I mean, they are modelled with two hand weapons, and two different ones at that.

Standard Bearer

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Aule_the_creator wrote:But what about models that are modeled with more than one type of Hand Weapon, like the Iron Guard, who carry both a shortsword, a throwing axe, and a normal axe?

The question about picking for each attack also applies, since one hand-weapon is a sword, and the other an axe, can one attack be a feint, and another a piercing strike? I mean, they are modelled with two hand weapons, and two different ones at that.

My Iron Guard only carry swords and throwing axes, I haven't seen any regular axes modelled on them. :?
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Squire

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Axe in hand, AND axe in belt. In theory, both of those COULD be Throwing axes, but really, isn't that up to me to decide? since the model's profile doesn't say that the model carries a sword, but only "hand weapon" and I seem to have two different hand weapons to choose from.

Standard Bearer

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:10 am

Aule_the_creator wrote:Axe in hand, AND axe in belt. In theory, both of those COULD be Throwing axes, but really, isn't that up to me to decide? since the model's profile doesn't say that the model carries a sword, but only "hand weapon" and I seem to have two different hand weapons to choose from.

Even then, a model can only carry a single hand weapon, as per the FAQ. ;) So no, you cannot choose to use a different strike with each of your Iron Guard's attacks, as he technically only carries a single hand weapon.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Squire

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 pm

but can I choose which hand weapon he has?

Standard Bearer

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 am

That's a little trickier. Given that they're listed as having throwing axes, I consider mine to have swords as their hand weapons -after all, they're holding these in their hands, and the rules state that it's WYSIWYG as far as hand weapons are concerned. However, it's up to you and your opponent to agree on this.
Armies:

Squire

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:33 pm

mhm, yet they are clearly 2A models because they fight dual-wield, so...

Standard Bearer

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 am

When halving a model's Fight Value with the One Ring, do you round up or down? Whilst the most similar rule, that of a Bat Swarm says you have to round down, the more recent rules for Magical Powers (such as Transfix etc.) tell you to round up.
Armies:

Previous
Return to FAQ for the 2012 SBG Books