The TLA Tournament FAQ

All questions or things you think are wrong about the new book to be posted here. Will collate into a long list and get it sent off after a while!

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Warrior

Re: The TLA Tournament FAQ

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 pm

hixont wrote:Once I have a comfortable lead I throw away a bunch of spiderlings (nine models in my case) and of course I will have lost some spiders due to normal wear and tear (Three is all I need to lose). So my force of 24 has now lost 12 models and is considered broken

The last line of the Progeny special rule in Moria and Angmar states "Note, Broodlings are not counted when working out if a force is broken." For some reason this line isn't in the Mordor book, I'd say it's a copy and paste error.

hixont wrote:I know that players I have played against have opted to let a hero die rather than expend a Fate point when it was obvious that the hero was going to die anyway (taking three wounds in one fight for instance) in order to reduce the Victory points awarded.

From the Lords of Battle Objectives: "If an enemy model is removed from play with unspent Fate points, you score 1 Victory Point for each such Fate point."
War is not about who's right, but who's left.

Standard Bearer

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:29 am

You're nit picking. :-)

Fine. I jump you with six flying wraiths and kill the leader and a couple of models then I spend all my Will to evaporate. It's still a win.

As for the Lords of Battle it hardly mattered since I won the game by a double digit difference.

Site Admin

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Added to the Blinding Swarm answer: "Note that this bonus (+D6 Fight) is applied before other effects are taken into account. Thus, a Hero who has been successfully targeted by the Transfix Channelled power would still have Fight value of 1".

The Hunter Orc Fight value should be 3, as per the back of the book and this page of the GW website http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1830018a

Warrior

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 am

hixont wrote:You're nit picking. :-)

Just making a point. There aren't a lot of powergaming options available in LotR/The Hobbit. I'll be the first to admit I've run my shaman away from my army to end a game quickly. :lol:

Squire

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 am

Q. Do you score 1 Victory Point when a model uses a special save that has a similar effect to a Fate roll?
A. No; you only score points for Wounds and Fate points used. You don’t score points when an enemy model uses other means to avoid wounds, such as The Undying using Will, Goblins using Fury, Malbeth the Seer’s ‘Gift of Foresight’ etc.

While I understand why this is ruled this way, and have never seen it ruled otherwise, I've never liked it either.
IMO, an exception should be made for the Undying or Castellans. There's a clear difference between the two types of rules, where one essentially gives you a free save, the other still requires you to expend resources to make the save.

It's quite a big advantage to have the Undying as a leader. Often it is quite hard to actually kill the enemy leader but at least you can plink off some of my wounds or fate and get some points. If I have the Undying it is all or nothing and all is often very difficult. Additionally, these victory points are available in almost all of the 6 scenarios.
An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”
The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Istari

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 pm

Isilduin wrote:
The last line of the Progeny special rule in Moria and Angmar states "Note, Broodlings are not counted when working out if a force is broken." For some reason this line isn't in the Mordor book, I'd say it's a copy and paste error.

That rule is no longer needed as the rule for being broken has now changed. A unit is now broken when it loses half its starting force in models, before it was the number of models on the table that counted. So it does not help now to dismount warg riders or bring back goblins with that new Hobbit, goblin model.

Warrior

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 am

hithero wrote:That rule is no longer needed as the rule for being broken has now changed. A unit is now broken when it loses half its starting force in models, before it was the number of models on the table that counted. So it does not help now to dismount warg riders or bring back goblins with that new Hobbit, goblin model.

The point is that the broodlings don't count towards the casualties that are counted when determining if the force has been broken, whereas the Scribe's goblins do. Not sure about wargs that have lost their rider, I think that's in the FAQ.

EDIT: But you're right, you count casualties now, not models on the table.

Site Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:15 am

The Black Sword wrote: It's quite a big advantage to have the Undying as a leader. Often it is quite hard to actually kill the enemy leader but at least you can plink off some of my wounds or fate and get some points. If I have the Undying it is all or nothing and all is often very difficult. Additionally, these victory points are available in almost all of the 6 scenarios.

Yes, it is a big advantage to have the Undying as a leader. He's one of the very best choices in the game as leader. That's part of the challenge in dealing with him, so since the rules don't allow you to score points off him in that scenario when he uses Will as if it was Fate, you may just have to assess whether you can realistically kill him or should leave him alone.

If I've got lance armed heroes, casters with Sap Will or monsters that hit against Strength instead of Defence, I usually go for the kill :D

To move this back to the FAQ discussion rather than tactics, the answer would be that there is nothing in the rules to indicate models using Will points to avoid wounds should count as a Victory Point for their opponent, so it won't be added to the Tournament FAQ.

Ranger

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:Yes, it is a big advantage to have the Undying as a leader. He's one of the very best choices in the game as leader. That's part of the challenge in dealing with him, so since the rules don't allow you to score points off him in that scenario when he uses Will as if it was Fate, you may just have to assess whether you can realistically kill him or should leave him alone.

If I've got lance armed heroes, casters with Sap Will or monsters that hit against Strength instead of Defence, I usually go for the kill :D

Or Floi.

Site Admin

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:41 am

....or Floi. Is there any end to the uses of that wise old dwarf!

The FAQ has been updated to version 1.01 and can be downloaded as a PDF:
download/tlafaq.pdf

Changes:
Orc Hunter profile answer changed to match GW website, Bat swarm interaction with Heroic Strike updated.

Previous
Return to FAQ for the 2012 SBG Books