How to submit articles CHANGED

For Feedback on any of the submitted articles or for talking about your upcoming articles!

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

How to submit articles CHANGED

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:14 pm

This is the text that should be appearing in the Articles page but.. well I have no idea how to make it appear.

Hello and welcome to The Last Alliance Article Archive.
Whether you are searching for a tutorial or looking for inspiration this is a good place to come.
And if you feel the archive is lacking, why not submit yourself?

To submit send an email to thelastalliance.com(pie)hotmail.com with a pdf of your article.
There is no set template but remenber to identify yourself with your TLA username.
Once you have submitted a Ranger will examine the article. Then he will either publish it, ask for some changes or rejected it and notify you. If your article gets rejected don’t lose hope, heed the Ranger’s message and try again.
If you don't see any response for a while (2 weeks?) reply to this post to remind us to take a look. Sorry if that happens :oops:

So that's it.
We don't have a star system though (Ukrocky edit; yet!)

PS: the (pie) is actually meant to be a @ if you haven't figured out. mmm... pie

Standard Bearer

Re: How to submit articles

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm

I'd like to add a note to this on adding images. To add images to an article you can upload using imageshack like normal, but instead of copy&pasting the normal url code, copy&paste the code for HTML in the 'Embed this Image' drop down thingy on imageshack.

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 am

Actually you need to upload them to this website using that dreaded interface. Suffer! Muahahaha.
What? Why do you guys think I've uploaded so few of the old articles so far? Pictures make this a nightmare when it's more than 1. No really, go check some of the articles on the site already and count the number of pics. Gah

Anyway, seriously, it used to be a rule on the old site so I'm guessing it's meant to stay in place.
It makes sense cause otherwise an article would depend on the user keeping those pics in his account.
So have fun working with the upload/insert tool for pics ;)

Ok just read your PMs Dînadan, once you upload the pics to the gallery the "show" button should open each image up with info and with the option "insert to post" and a few options. This seems to be broken however so I have to click "all tabs show" on the top of the list to get them to show that option.
Great.. cause this couldn't get more annoying. Gonna beg Dagorlad to take a look at it tomorrow.

PS: I'll ask the admins if they are ok with images being hosted outside TLA or not.

heh.. PMs.. hehe :P

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 pm

lol. Considering this system is such a headache, would it be better to try an alternative?

A simple way I can think of is to open a new set of subforums and have articles be threads where the first post is the actual article. The benefit of this is that people will be able to figure out how to make an article easy because it'd just be like writing a normal post (albiet with more care given to presentation).

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Check out the system Dagorlad used on the one ring
I must say I was quite impressed with it.
But truth be told I don't really know much about programming so I don't see the flaws/possible problems.

Already proposed the article forum idea but it didn't stick. Can't remenber why but some problems with the idea were pointed out

Standard Bearer

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 am

Ok the image submission buttons are working again.
So get the images in this site ;)
Dagorlad said that wordpress acts up now and then so this kind of glitch happens temporarily

Standard Bearer

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:16 am

Changed the guidelines for submiting articles
Why didn't you mention you didn't have the button for uploading pics Dinadan? :P
Feanor sent me a print screen of what you guys see, that's why we are changing the way articles work.
If you are reading this Dinadan send a pdf of what you submitted to the mail ;) . Or if you don't I'll eventually turn what you submitted into a pdf and add it. I like the article

Standard Bearer

Re: How to submit articles CHANGED

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Details updated in the first post everyone :)

Standard Bearer

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Just a quick question: as I'm making a painting article, do I need to add pictures for every step, or can I just have a picture every 2 or 3 steps?

(I realise that it would be a better quality with every step, but some steps (like the arrow feathers) would be barely noticeable)
Last edited by Chris Guard of Mardat on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Chris Guard of Mardat wrote:Just a quick question: as I'm making a painting article, do I need to add pictures for every step, or can I just have a picture every 2 or 3 steps?

Every step is better. :) I'm not sure if it's required to have a picture for every step, but the more the better, imo.

Next
Return to Article Feedback