Hello from Japan

For new members to introduce themselves and ask questions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Hello from Japan

Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm a Brit who is now resident in Japan, in the Nagoya area. I play tabletop games here when I can (used to enjoy rpg, mostly play skirmish and such now such as Judge Dredd Miniatures game, Bolt Action, Frostgrave, oldhammer etc), and of course I collect and paint miniatures.

As a long time Tolkien fan (I blame the BBC Radio version for first hooking me 30 odd years ago), I've wanted to get stuck into this system and range for a long, long time. But there were no players. There still aren't, although a few years back I had one of my most memorable gaming experiences here, playing the Amon Hen scenarios through.

I thought why not get involved anyway despite there being no other players, and maybe make a scene in time. I took the plunge a year ago, and decided to take it on myself collect this range while it's around. Thankfully it seems that things are fairly safe until 2020! In the last year, I've amassed a heck of a lot of stuff, some of the OOP books too, and intend to keep adding to it.

I'm also experimenting with terrain as I'm trying to build a (very) basic Helms Deep model using the Two Towers Journeybook approach, and I plan to run the battle of the Hornburg, and the siege of Minas Tirith etc in years to come. Have to justify buying that Uruk Ballista and Gondorian trebuchet somehow after all...and the five or so trolls in the storage box.

As I said, unfortunately nobody actually plays the Strategy Battle Game in these parts. This doesn't bother me too much, as, I'm sure I can rope some locals in to indulge me when everything is painted and ready. Also, I'm a father to two boys, the oldest of which is only 2 years. So I have time and high likelihood of getting at least one of them to take an interest down the line. Now I just need to get working on stuff.

Cheers, delighted that such a forum exists and thrives.
Lovejoy

Warrior

Re: Hello from Japan

Thu May 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Welcome to the Last Alliance, as you can probably tell, things are a little quiet at the moment, but with the attention that GW is throwing the game's way now hopefully things will pick up again. It sounds like you have a cool project going on there with the helm deep model, I look forward to seeing photos when you're done.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Site Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 9:46 am

Welcome to TLA, Lovejoy

Also, I'm a father to two boys, the oldest of which is only 2 years. So I have time and high likelihood of getting at least one of them to take an interest down the line.

Wow that's going to take some patience :D

It was actually my own son who got me into LOTR in the first place, after seeing the old 'Mines of Moria' box set in a toy shop window.

Best toy I ever bought him (/me :lol: )

Squire

Tue May 24, 2016 6:32 am

Hello! Welcome to the Last Alliance.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Squire

Thu May 26, 2016 5:09 am

Wellcome!
(I also bought the Mines of Moria for my children to get some nice Tolkien figures :) )

Return to New Members