2 questions

If anyone would like to share their ideas for the new TLA format and site, please let us know here!

Moderator: Leaders

Squire

2 questions

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:02 am

Is there possibly any chance that any one could make an app for this website?
and could one of the rangers create a system that keeps track of the competitions u've won
Thanks
For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.
1 Chronicles 16:25

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
Deuteronomy 6:5

Warrior

Re: 2 questions

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:31 am

Firstly, the website will soon be changing to bring back it's former glory (i.e. a decent article database and a good looking frontend). Competition integration may be part of that, although it might not be including initially.

Secondly, as to an app, I assume you mean an iPhone app? Or for Android or any other smartphone. The thing is, it wouldn't really be that useful. What would it do? There are apps out there that allow you to easily read and make posts on forums from your mobile devices, and since you will be able to view the site in a web browser anyway, it's a little redundant.
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Squire

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:43 am

To ur first comment :D can't wait
But to the second comment, yup I mean an iPod app its out of convenience really ? But is it possible
For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Warrior

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:43 am

To do what though? I don't understand what you'd want it to do.
James

Squire

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm

something like the facebook app.

Warrior

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:33 pm

The Facebook app allows you to post status updates, read profiles, upload videos and images.

Since TLA's primary purposes under the new site are:
1. Forum
2. Article Database

All this requires is for the new site to have a mobile version, which adjusts for the size and screen resolution of such devices.

If you can give more specific ideas, and provide a functional specification of what you would want such an app to do, I wouldn't mind writing one if it was going to be beneficial to the community. It's judging the amount of time and effort vs the amount of impact and utility it would have, and currently, I can't see it being massively beneficial. I'll look into some ideas though.
James

Squire

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm

here are some things that could be helpful:
a news feed - replys to ur comments perhaps?
photos - a collection of photos by other users and yourself.
messages- private messages?
profile - user control panel.
Forum - same
members - same

Ranger

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm

I too, don't see what the advantage of having an App would be? you'll have to be able to connect to the internet to use it...so why not just log onto the actual website.

The main benefit I can see of making an App would be to raise some funds for TLA, but even then I'd assume it'd only be peanuts.

Squire

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

when i was in the library (if i spell it right) i saw a book about making ipod and iphone apps, when i opened it, it was so complex wat was on the page that i putted it back on the shelve imediatly.

i don't know if any of visitors of tla are programmers, but to make one is really hard

Warrior

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 pm

I am. In truth, developing a fairly rudimentary iPhone app wouldn't be too hard - again, it's just if the motivation and use for it is right.

At the moment, my main focus for TLA is on getting the new site up and running. Once that's there, the next stage will be to look at compatibility on mobile devices, especially for articles. I imagine being able to display an article well on a mobile web browser would be very useful! After that, if there is a use for an app, I may consider it. However, simply to register as a developer to submit your apps to the App Store, it's $99USD. So there would probably be a small cost to at least cover that, if not a little more to generate some funds for TLA. But as I said, that's way off at the moment, and right now the website is the core priority.
James

Next
Return to Site Suggestions