Do You Guys Need Help?

If anyone would like to share their ideas for the new TLA format and site, please let us know here!

Moderator: Leaders

Villager

Do You Guys Need Help?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:06 am

Do you guys need help getting the site up? It looks like you guys are using Wordpress however you don't have everything appropriately linked; the frontpage has been down since the revival; and none of the articles have been reposted from the old site.

I have a ton of website experience (I run my own site: http://www.nexus-studios.org/) and have run two website networks in the past. I love Wordpress and have used phpBB before (I prefer vBulletin though because of security risks - bad incident with Turkish hackers).

Just wondering if you guys needed a hand or if you had it under control.

Istari

Re: Do You Guys Need Help?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks for the offer, I've posted in the staff forum and we'll get back to you. Cheers.

Standard Bearer

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:09 pm

6 articles have been reposted, it just takes too bloody long to add the images to the articles :|
If it was just the text I'd have 60 reposted by now.

But yes we are having trouble dealing with word press.
Things we want to do but can't figure out atm are these:
-Make the text written in the "page" section in the Articles page appear above the current Articles pagg you can see. Can't figure out what I need to add to the template to make that appear :|

-Have the news page that display only posts from the "News" category. Guess that one should be easy actually. I just dunno what most of the stuff in the current templates is so I am reluctant to meddle around much.

-Homepage.. well.. actually we're not really sure what to put there :?
A section with recent articles added (just the titles) is a given, other than that...
It's suposed to be a somewhat fixed entity (since the news page already handles announcements) but what will be posted there is a mistery

Villager

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 am

Why does it take so long to add images? The Wordpress editor is WYSIWYG right? Shouldn't it only take a few minutes or so to proof and reformat each article?

You can just rename all the pictures at once with an appropriate title per image. Upload them as one huge batch to your media center. Then when you are editing the articles simply bring up the post window and your image list and use that to quickly insert the images. (Having a big monitor or multiple monitors can speed this up significantly - I run a tri-monitor setup myself).

It looks like you are running some type of automated database reconciliation between phpBB and Wordpress - this seems to be running fine to me.

The problem with your content structure currently is that it seems you have everything set up as "Posts" and not "Pages" - hence why when you go to articles it goes to a post archive. What you want to do is set up "Posts" as only news items and then set up everything else here as Pages. For example if you look at my site: http://www.nexus-studios.org the frontpage is posts. Post archives are available on the right sidebar via a widget; the top navbar however is page navigation. Also you should only need a few post categories - currently you've tried to make categories list into some kind of file/content structure - this is incorrect - they should be managed via the Page interface.

Also you need to always update your CMS/Forums to the most recent available update. Dealing with hackers or automated worms is a complete nightmare. I used to think running a small gaming site would make us an unlikely target - but this is the high seas of the internet where the lack of decency and humanity is the rule not the exception.

I can explain this stuff over Skype if necessary. Or I can help you directly with your Wordpress install if you prefer.

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:37 pm

It takes so long to add images tbh cause the html version keeps sliding to the top (the images are usually named image1, image2 and so forth so it would be really quick to just copy the code and add the number)
The WYSIWYG part in the post itself atrocious for adding images, I do have them all in a batch on the media center. But opening the media center and clicking the image takes way too long (some articles have over 60 images). Haven't tried having the media center open in another window. Will give it a go.

As for everything else James did all the work so I'm not entirely sure about the reasons.

The forum and the rest of the website are connected by the WP-United plugin, that I know.

I think James set the articles as posts cause normal users are suposed to be able to post drafts of whatever the articles are.

I'm guessing to update I just need to click the bold underlined links shouting "update".. probably should have clicked them by now

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:45 pm

ok.. so I can't update the phpBB
Only have acess to the admin panels, not to any folder with a config.php file

And apparently I should backup wordpress before updating that...

Damn it
Probably better if you help directly :|

Villager

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:02 am

I should be able to do that sometime later this week or next week. Do you not have FTP access? You should be able to change the CHMOD of the config file manually right?

Do you guys want me to work on stuff while you are online or do you just want to set me up with a new admin account? If its just working with Wordpress it should require very little back-end work however if we need to work on the mySQL databases we'll need to gather the info for those tables with the mySQL user and pass. Additionally we should back everything on the entire site up first.

Standard Bearer

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 pm

I don't have FTP acess, I can only acess the admin panels of the WP area and the phpBB area.
It's possible that Dagorlad (from the OneRing website) can help us with the updating so it could be just the WP
The articles can't be pages though since that requires way too much clearance for the regular member :|

Villager

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:01 am

LonelyKnight wrote:I don't have FTP acess, I can only acess the admin panels of the WP area and the phpBB area.
It's possible that Dagorlad (from the OneRing website) can help us with the updating so it could be just the WP
The articles can't be pages though since that requires way too much clearance for the regular member :|

You guys definitely need to get your host to set you up with FTP Access. Otherwise you're going to have to pester him constantly when you want to do any kind of serious changes to the site. He should be able to set up FTP accounts that only have access to your website folders if he is hosting you as a sub folder on his site.

If you are serious about wanting users to basically create the pages themselves you may want more of a traditional wiki setup molded to the the template of your site.

The real advantage of Wordpress is as an organized CMS. Also its widespread use means a TON of people know a lot about it so getting help for it is extremely easy. Here is a thorough explanation of Posts vs Pages:
http://wpapprentice.com/videos/blogging ... -vs-pages/

The way I would suggest we organize the articles is via a hierarchical structure. This is very traditional for websites and is the most familiar way for users to navigate your site. I would advise we create a forum where users can post their articles and then those articles are manually transferred into a page by a "Editor" level Wordpress user. I admit this is not optimal but having users create "Posts" is not optimal either (they are not really designed for creating static article pages). A create pages user level is planned for wordpress but has currently not been created:
http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/ques ... e-new-page

Standard Bearer

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 am

oh the admins do have ftp acess i think, it's just I'm a lowly ranger :P
As far as I know 4 people have/had ftp acess, but I don't have acess to the hosting site
at least I have ftp acess on my crappy hosted for free website so I'm guessing they have too

Members need to have a way to submit articles, but not post directly.
Like the contributor setting, they can post and edit their drafts but they can't publish or edit posts.

Must admit I don't see the difference in display between the posts and the usual static page, the only weird thing is those 2 links on the top that allow you to see the previous post and the next post.
Isn't the fact that it's displayed on the RSS feed a good thing? I never use them but I'm guessing many people do

Next
Return to Site Suggestions