Online Magazine?

If anyone would like to share their ideas for the new TLA format and site, please let us know here!

Moderator: Leaders

Warrior

Online Magazine?

Mon May 28, 2012 10:07 am

Hi all
I think a great suggestion for the site would be to have an free online magazine with articles, tips and guides. I think it could be possibly made by some of the members and posted quaterly, monthly or yearly depending on how busy everyone is.
here is another great mag I found:http://tengwarbeacon.webs.com/issues.htm
It has been contributed to by many fans/members and I reckon we could do something like this for TLA.
I would happily contribute :)
what do you people think?
What we need is a few good 'taters.
What's 'taters, precious? What's 'taters, eh?
Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant
backlog comlete: 2/80

Warrior

Re: Online Magazine?

Mon May 28, 2012 11:37 am

That's a pretty good idea really. It'd take a bit of work, but I'd gladly help by contributing.

Warrior

Mon May 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Yes, it would definetley be lots of work but it would be worth it.
Anyone else think so?
anybody like to help if this does go ahead?

Squire

Mon May 28, 2012 3:18 pm

I've just put an idea forward to Ukrocky, if it gets the go ahead then I intend to host some very large quarterly battles and events, so this would suit very well for a quarterly online magazine.

I would be happy to donate pictures, battle reports and anything else of use but I wouldn't be very good with the actual putting together of the magazine, that'd be for someone else with those relevant skills. If I can help in other ways though I will try.
'You know, po-ta-toes.. boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew'

Standard Bearer

Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes, that would be awesome!

I feel, however, that it would be more important for the site to get a nice filled article section again, covering all the basics of the hobby. Basics like basing (no pun intended), drybrushing and using washes, making pictures of miniatures, some tactics articles etc.
Then again, a E-zine could give some (much needed) attention to articles and to the site in general.

Maybe not include the basics (or only by a little) and focus more on larger projects in the E-zine? Each half year (I guess that's realistic) another is released and will have a new theme.

Anyway, I'd love to help! I can make articles on many (pretty much all) subjects, write some background and Tolkien research I've already done.
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Warrior

Mon May 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes, I was thinking we could do loads of stuff; Painting guides, scenery/terrain, conversions, reviews(?), moddeling, interesting colour schemes basing, tactics, History of Middle Earth, loads of pictures, ecetera, ecetera...

there are loads of possibilities
If we did do this, would anyone else like to help?
You wouldnt have to write loads or post articles; proofreaders and co. would be needed too
:)
what are your thoughts?

Warrior

Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 pm

[cynicism]

This kind of idea has been attempted on several occasions across the LotR-o-sphere, I've been involved in a couple of them. They have mostly inevitably tailed off due to a lack of contributors, time, interest, or regular product releases to help drive new content.

[/cynicism]

Having said that, I'm sure that if it were given due care and attention, it could have some great content, knowing how passionate many members of our community are. Just be wary of my above points.

Good luck!
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Standard Bearer

Mon May 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Sure it will be a lot of effort. Sure it will cost lots of time and be harder to arrange than you expect and want. But if it works, it's worth it! And even if it doesn't work out, we will have a couple of articles that can be uploaded on the site anyway!

Either way, if we gather a 'team' of dedicated people, each with a clear task, we will definitely be able to do it!
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Tue May 29, 2012 10:16 am

I would be very willing to contribute! It is about time The Last Alliance rebuilds it's former glory!

Warrior

Tue May 29, 2012 10:53 am

I'm fairly experienced with photoshop, so I could help out with the graphics and design element, if this goes ahead.

Next
Return to Site Suggestions