W 3
C 6
M 3
W 3
F 2

Wargear
Heavy Armour, Sword, Armoured Horse

Special Rules
To me, Men of Gondor. Faramir, Captain of Ilithien has a 12” Standfast and all Rangers of Gondor, Knights of Minas Tirith, Warriors of Minas Tirith and Citadel Guards within 12” count as in range of a banner.

Options
• Lance …………………………………………….………………. 5pts

===APPROVED FOR INCLUSION===

Site Admin

Re: Faramir, Prince of Ithilien - Approved

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:51 am

About this profile:
This is the easiest form of profile to approve; it was actually developed and released by Gamesworkshop for The Lord of the Rings:SBG, but apparently accidentally dropped when the rules were updated with the release of the Kingdom's of Men book.

It's a good, strong, well-costed profile for one of the LOTR's best-loved heroes at the peak of his powers, and is ready to use in any game.

Squire

Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:59 am

Yes yes yes yes YES!
He's finally back. I couldn't believe that Super Faramir wasn't included in the book. He was a great hero, far too good to be replaced by what was basically a king of men profile.
I think I will upgrade my Minas Tirith army.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 pm

What do you mean approved and finally back?

Squire

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:37 am

I mean super Faramir is finally back, because GW made this profile for him a few years ago and then it just disappeared somehow.

I am pretty sure he had exactly these stats and rules. If people allow it I would much rather pay more points and have him be awesome. ;)
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Love it! My favourite character from LOTR with his true profile

Villager

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Faramir, Prince of Ithilein.

Love the revival of this profile. I think a support hero Faramir is really useful and Thematic in a Gondor army as the last pillar of strength for his people.

The Only usggestions I would make to his profile are these.
1. I’d add Osgiliath Veterns to the list of Models his special “to me, Men of Gondor!” can effect. Think it’s a bit of a waste that it doesn’t effect these troops since Osgiliath veterns love fighting around Faramir.
2. I would remove the Lance from his wargear options.
My reasoning is this, the option for lance is pretty much always a must take you would never not take the lance you might as well add it to his profile to be honest, but my main reason is with the addition of the lance it takes away all the viability of his “cheaper” version.
I don’t like the addition of a profile that surpasses and exceeds the abilities of a previous profile. A newer profile should have inherent weaknesses other than being more expensive (this is part of the reason why I didn’t like how they changed how Eomer, Knight of the Pellenor used to go Crazy when Eowyn or Theoden died).

The Addition of the lance is does has the same effect here on Faramir. Why take the old Faramir when you can for 50 points gain a 12” banner and Standfast, an extra attack and wound and bonus will.

If you remove the Lance option If gives Players A Choice in what Faramir they want to field. Do they want a Hero that can lead his army through valor. Or do they want a lance mounted Faramir that can be a serious threat to a troll chieftain on the charge?

Rules writing shouldn’t be about providing a wish list for players or for having your cake an eating it. It should be about providing a DIFFERENT way of playing a character.

Site Admin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:40 am

Those are all fair points, and I particulary agree with this

Rules writing shouldn’t be about providing a wish list for players or for having your cake an eating it. It should be about providing a DIFFERENT way of playing a character.

However, this profile is an official one published by Gamesworkshop (WD 365 May 2010). It's not a fan produced version, and so it's going to be revived as it was created.

I have him written down in notes with a lance option, but will check my garage for the old WD to see if that was actually an option. If not it will be removed. If anyone else has the paper or PDF version in the meantime let me know.

Thanks.

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:19 am

Your profile is accurate word for word to the GW produced one. However were Osgiliath Veterans a profile when he was realised? If not they might be worth adding to his list of banner effected models?

Squire

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:37 am

Osgiliath Veterans were made in 2009, so that means they were out when this Faramir was released in 201. I wonder why GW didn't make his rule work for them too.

Next
Return to The Kingdoms of Men - Unreleased Profiles