W 3
C 6
M 3
W 1
F 0

Wargear
Heavy Armour, Sword, Armoured Horse

Special Rules
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Theoden has a 12” Standfast and all Rohan warriors within 6” count as in range of a banner.
Expert Rider. See main rules manual.

Options
• Shield…………………………………………….………………. 5pts

======PLAYTESTING======
Edit 17 Nov 2015: Will reduced from 3 to 1. Fate reduced from 1 to 0. Points cost reduced from 140 to 130.

Site Admin

Re: Theoden, King at Pelennor - Playtest

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:41 pm

About this profile:
This is a proposed idea for Theoden, King at Pelennor

It is designed to represent Theoden at the very peak of his powers, as the leader of the Rohan on the plains of Pelennor, and as an alternative to the early-release profile.

Theoden is not intended to obsolete any of the existing Rohan heroes, so does not get a fight higher than 5. Instead his role is a one of an inspiring leader, represented by a 12" stand fast and a banner effect.

His Fate is set to 0 (previously 1).

Compared to Faramir, Captain of Ithilien
The profile is very heavily based on the one GW published for Faramir, Captain of Ithilien.

Theoden costs 20pts less. In return, his armour is reduced by 1 (can be upgraded with a shield for 5pts), his banner effect is reduced to 6" (instead of 12"), he does not have the option of taking a Lance, and after the Nov 17th edit he has only 1 will (vs 3) and 0 fate (vs 3).

This is a playtest profile, so comments are welcome.

Villager

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Seems fair point wise easily.
Correct me if I am wrong but was there a Theoden profile at one point which had a special rule concerning Eowyn and Eomer or was that just Eomer?

Squire

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:54 am

I was thinking about this last night, and think that Theoden should have a lower Will score than the usual big heroes. This would represent his vulnerability to Saruman, which is a very important part of his story.
I love everything else about the profile.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Theoden, King on the Pellenor.

I was sceptical at first at the Idea of a big mode King Theoden but after I thought about having a model that can rival Eomer knight of the Pellenor would be a good option here.

However I think He’s points are a little too low and theirs less variation here to the other less powerful Theoden.
My point are similar here to what I said about Faramir. This New profile Obliterates the old one no inherent weaknesses and amazing Leadership abilities.
My thoughts here are mostly on his stat line.

The major change I would make would be to remove his fate point and bring him down to 0 fate. My reason being it gives him a weakness that players need to protect/exploit as well as being thematic to his story. This is Theoden last ride to war from which he will not return alive. Why on earth would he have fate other characters of Importance such as Theordred and Avendui have had their fate removed for the same reason. And I feel it would be good on Theoden and keep his points in line a bit more. (plus it makes him vulnerable to a morgul blade and one of the few characters that can carry one is the witch king who so happens slew Theoden)

Aside from this I would just add the shield to Theodens Profile. There’s no reason not to take it so might as well add it to his profile.

Site Admin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:07 am

Lady Kindle wrote:Theoden, King on the Pellenor.

I was sceptical at first at the Idea of a big mode King Theoden but after I thought about having a model that can rival Eomer knight of the Pellenor would be a good option here...
The major change I would make would be to remove his fate point and bring him down to 0 fate. My reason being it gives him a weakness that players need to protect/exploit as well as being thematic to his story. This is Theoden last ride to war from which he will not return alive. Why on earth would he have fate other characters of Importance such as Theordred and Avendui have had their fate removed for the same reason. And I feel it would be good on Theoden and keep his points in line a bit more. (plus it makes him vulnerable to a morgul blade and one of the few characters that can carry one is the witch king who so happens slew Theoden)

Having his fate drop to 0 is a good idea from a thematic point of view. He could also drop Will to 1 to represent his weakness to Saruman, for a strong but flawed hero profile similar to Boromir of the Fellowship.
Great input, thanks.

Lady Kindle wrote:Aside from this I would just add the shield to Theodens Profile. There’s no reason not to take it so might as well add it to his profile.

I would always take it too, but since some players have the model without a shield I thought they would appreciate it being an option rather than required.

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 am

Matt-Shadowlord wrote:I would always take it too, but since some players have the model without a shield I thought they would appreciate it being an option rather than required.

Good point consider me swayed.

Return to The Kingdoms of Men - Unreleased Profiles