THIS THREAD IS REDUNDANT AND HAS BEEN ROLLED IN TO
Numenorean Cavalry:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8377

Numenor Horse Archer (Man)
Points Value: 15

F ... S D A W C
4/3+ 3 4 1 1 3

Wargear
Armour, Sword, Horse, Hollow Steel Bow (Longbow)

======PLAYTESTING======
Edit: Armour reduced from 5 to 4, price reduced from 16 to 15pts

Site Admin

Re: Numenor Horse Archer

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:21 pm

About this profile:
This is a proposed idea for a Numenor Horse Archer model.

It is designed to help fill the cavalry gap in the Numenorian army. The Numenorians were famous for use of Horse Archers, firing hollow steel bows.

Compared to Citadel Guard (Minas Tirith)
The profile is based on the Citadel Guard and has the same cost as a Citadel Guard on horse with a Long Bow. The Numenor Archer gives up the Bodyguard special rule to gain 3+ archery.

Villager

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:46 am

Should the archer be defence 4 since the archer only has armour and no heavy armour?
I would then make him 15 points maybe?

Site Admin

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:27 am

RIGG wrote:Should the archer be defence 4 since the archer only has armour and no heavy armour?
I would then make him 15 points maybe?

Both good suggestions, thanks.

Villager

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:35 pm

The Numenorians were famous for use of Horse Archers, firing hollow steel bows.

Seriously? then why have we had nothing but foot armies for so long?
Gaaaaaaaaaamesworkshop! Go to your room.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Squire

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:18 am

Matt, Can you please give a source for your post "The Numenorians were famous for use of Horse Archers, firing hollow steel bows."
I am under the impression (from the books I believe) that due to the fall of Numenor they did not have a large number of horses and probably wouldn't have used them as archers.
If a bow is given to other Numenor Cavalry, this profile is not needed.

Site Admin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 am

Hodush wrote:If a bow is given to other Numenor Cavalry, this profile is not needed.

That's correct, and this profile is now likely to be rolled in to the Numenor Cavalry profile: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8377

Hodush wrote:Matt, Can you please give a source for your post "The Numenorians were famous for use of Horse Archers, firing hollow steel bows."
I am under the impression (from the books I believe) that due to the fall of Numenor they did not have a large number of horses and probably wouldn't have used them as archers.

Sure, here are a few references.

Quote Henneth Annun Reseach Center:

Great bows of the Númenóreans, made of steel and used with steel-tipped arrows:

[Shooting] with bows on foot and on horseback was a chief sport and pastime of the Númenóreans. In later days, in the wars upon Middle-earth, it was the bows of the Númenóreans that were most greatly feared. 'The Men of the Sea,' it was said, 'send before them a great cloud, as a rain turned to serpents, or a black hail tipped with steel;' and in those days the great cohorts of the King's Archers used bows made of hollow steel, with black-feathered arrows a full ell long from point to notch.

Unfinished Tales, Part 2, Ch 1, A Description of the Island of Númenor

[The Orcs]... kept at a distance out of the range of the dreaded steel-bows of Númenor...

http://www.henneth-annun.net/things_view.cfm?thid=402

The famous Númenórean steel bows were among the greatest of the types of longbows. As the name implies, these bows were made of steel, and only the strongest among the Númenóreans could wield them.
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Bow_%28weapon%29

Villager

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:11 pm

The unfinished tales can also be quoted say that during the last alliance they had no horsemen in their army and that all their cavalry was made up of local allies. It goes no to say that they never bread warhorses that could bare the weight of a armored solider and they did not use them for transport either preferring to walk everywhere most of the time. That's from the chapter that talks about Isildor's death, though I don't have the exact quotes to hand.

Site Admin

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 am

Wan Shi Tong wrote:The unfinished tales can also be quoted say that during the last alliance they had no horsemen in their army and that all their cavalry was made up of local allies. It goes no to say that they never bread warhorses that could bare the weight of a armored solider and they did not use them for transport either preferring to walk everywhere most of the time. That's from the chapter that talks about Isildor's death, though I don't have the exact quotes to hand.

True, there are some quotes either way and some of it can be contradictory; eg "The Númenóreans, too, became skilled in the art of husbandry, breeding great horses that roamed across the open plains in Mittalmar. Although the Númenóreans were a peaceful people, their weapons, armor, and horse-riding skills could not be contested anywhere else in Arda, save for the Valar."

But from the point of view of LOTR as a game, a lot of the inspiration comes from the films, as well as the books. That's the reason a lot of players have said they were expecting something more like the cavalry you can see in the first film.

So this doesn't go all the way to fix the way an army was created by GW, given just 1 type of warrior and then neglected, but passages from the books and scenes from the films should make Numenorean cavalry an acceptable addition.

Villager

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Perhaps.

Next
Return to The Kingdoms of Men - Unreleased Profiles