Armoured Hog - Dwarf Mount (Hero Only)

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Site Admin

Armoured Hog - Dwarf Mount (Hero Only)

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:19 am

Armoured Hog (Hog)
Armoured Hog
Wargear - 20pt upgrade to "Dain Ironfoot, Warrior King" and "Iron Hills Captain"

Move 8”
F... S D A W C
0/- 4 6 1 1 3

Wargear
Heavy Dwarf Armour

Special Rules
Impaler

======PLAYTEST=====
Edit 20 Nov 2015
Impact changed from S3 to S4 hit (standardised)
Defence increase from D5 to D6
Mount will now automatically flee if rider is lost
Price dropped from 25 to 20

Site Admin

Re: Armoured Hog - Dwarf Mount (Hero Only)

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:26 am

About this profile

This is a profile for a new mount, available to Dwarf Heroes only.

Compared to Armoured Horse (Heroes)
Some Heroes can buy an Armoured (D5) Horse for 15pts. This is based on that profile with the following changes:
Slower speed (8 compared to 10)
Impaler When the Armoured Hog charges into combat, it immediately inflicts a Strength 3 hit on one enemy model in base contact - This is based on the Camel impaler rules from The Eastern Kingdoms, but 1 lower in strength.
Fierce An unridden hog has a chance to stay on the table if it can pass a courage test, similar to a warg. Its stats are similar to a warg (1 more defence, 1 higher courage, and impaler rule)

Price is 10 higher than a heroes Armoured Horse, or 15 higher than a heroes Warg, at 25. The result is a very powerful mount that should be balanced by its price tag and slightly lower speed.

Villager

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:42 am

So this post is two fold and im taking into consideration the two other profiles that can take this mount.

First things first,

I don't like the idea of naming a special rule the same as another special rule of it dose something different. It causes confusion.
When I read this I actully glanced over the rule to being with think okay strength 4 hits on charge. When I came back today I realised it was actully strength 3.
Simply changing the name to something else would be the easiest. What about something like Hog Charge, Goar, or Boar Ram could work.

The last thing I'd like to see is removing the attacks and fight from the pig. Their is no reason to keep it in play.
The circumstances for which is would stay in play is extremely small and it would mean their is less clutter of dain or the captain falls of the hog.

In addition it means players would have to convert a hog without a rider whic can be fiddley since most players will simply be using the unreleased mo tires version.
Yes is nice to have the mount stick around but honestly it's unessacery and doesn't add anything to the game.

Lastly 25 points is REALLY expensive. I'd drop the points down to 20 which is a tad more reasonable (honestly I'd prefer 15).
Remember Thorins compnay get ponies for 5 points each and really how much more crazy is this hog compared to a pony? The defence is nice ao is the impact hits. But plus 2 defence and the charge rules for an extra 20 is a bit much.

-Kylie

Site Admin

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 am

I got at least a full page of feedback on this mount following some playtests - Dwarf players seem really enthusiastic about the idea.

As a result, the following changes will be made:
Impact changed from S3 to S4 (standardised)
Defence increase from D5 to D6
Mount will now automatically flee if rider is lost
Price dropped from 25 to 20

Villager

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:37 am

That is good. I am happy with it being a little less amazing and a little less expensive. Most people would have killed it by the time it was due to roll to stay on the table anyway so it is a small loss.

There is a rumour that a model might be available for this soon!

Villager

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:41 am

Like the new rules for the pig matt , I found that the pig was definitely overpriced and needed to be cheaper for what it did . New changes are good.

Squire

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:59 am

It's good. I prefer my dwarves slow and bitter, but this is probably a well balanced mount. It definitely needs to be this price and no cheaper because impact is a very good rule for a heroes Mount.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Return to The Free People - Dwarfs