Elite High Elves?

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Elite High Elves?

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I would personally love an elite high elf! There was plans for them in the Legions of Middle Earth Book back yonks.
A Noldor Knight or a First Lineage or Eregion Smith or Harbour Masters are some possible profile names.
Something along the lines of an amped up Gil Galad "Kings Guard". F6 and C6, perhaps burly, 2 attacks, and super heavy armour aka First Age Noldor Armour (same as dwarf heavy armour = D7 with shield).
It only seems for an army list with one troop.
Also a Celebrimbor Profile would be sweet. It could easily be based on a Gil galad/Celeborn/Glorfindel esque profile

Villager

Re: Elite High Elves?

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:34 pm

There was some discussion on elite elves a while back as well as rules for celembrimbor, however I think the ideas would be better to be split up, Eregion smiths as a type of tank unit and then some form of elite two handed warriors either as a kings guard or they could be a separate idea, personally I envisage smiths of Eregion to be something like (Mainly due to third age total wars rendition of them):
Smith of Eregion
F/4/- S/3 D/8 A/1 W/1 C/5
Pts:14
Equipment:
Perfectly balanced hammer: These hammers strike with crushing impact yet their perfect balance allows the smith to wield them in one hand, they grant the smiths of Eregion +1 to their strength
Finely crafter elven armour: grants Def 7
Shield

So for 3 points over a khazad guard, they gain a shield but lose the two handed weapon,gain a courage but lose bodyguard which I think is more than fair and shouldn't leave them overpowered.
Billy

Edit: Here is where we discussed the profiles, he settled for a different approach with the smiths in the end, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7981.

Villager

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I like the Eregion Smith profile for sure. But to keep it inline with current elf profiles. Would it best to keep the Fight as 5?
The strength bonus makes sense since they spend their lives hammering away. However defence 8 is crazy good! perhaps keeping them at D7 (with shields) would be a smarter move because otherwise str3 armies will crumble before them.
I would propose.

Smith of Eregion
F/5/- S/3 D/7 A/1 W/1 C/5 Pts:13

Wargear: Perfectly balanced hammer: These hammers strike with crushing impact yet their perfect balance allows the smith to wield them in one hand, they grant the smiths of Eregion +1 to their strength.
Shield.

Kings guard
F6/3 S3 D5 A2 W1 C5 Pts: 15

Wargear: Heavy armour

Options: Spear....1pt
Shield....1 pt

Special Rules: 'Bodyguard'

Celebrimbor, Lord of Eregion
F 7/3 S5* D9 A3 W3 C7. M3 W6** F1*** 170pts

Wargear: Mithril armour
Shield

Options: Armoured Horse... 15points

Special Rules:
Lord of Eregion: Due to his position of power and great renown Celebrimbor is a figure of inspiration to fellow elves, because of this Celebrimbor has a 12 inch standfast'
Inner Strength: Celebrimbor was able to withstand Sauron's torture and did not break before the dark lord. To represent this Celebrimbor has the magical power Fortify Spirit (12inch Range).

*He is given strength 5 because this follows suit with the smiths being strength 4 (same reasoning)
**Increase Will store represents his will power to resist Sauron
*** low fate as he does eventually die at Saurons Hands.
I've resisted making up to many new rules and instead rather recycle current ones.

Villager

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Perhaps, however I though perhaps because they are first and foremost smiths not warriors the drop in fight value would both show this and make them more unique to the other elven profiles. I guess def 8 could have been a bit too much, however I wanted to not just be Elven Khazad guard, also at the 14/15 point mark they pay a premium for that defence, as 3 goblins would comfortably defeat one smith, def 8 or not, it simply means they take a long time to grind out, but they are still limited in power by their one attack. But I guess making them such a high defence could lead to people thinking they're overpowered, they could do with play testing.
I like the celembrimbor profile, I see you took a more melee focused approach to him than we did, though I would argue he doesn't deserve f/7, after all he was renowned for his smithing abilities more than his fighting, and this gives the opportunity for a more unique character then a generic elven lord. I feel he deserves a weaker statline but powerful equipment/rules to keep him more in line with top tier heroes.
F:6 S:5 D:9 A:2 W:3 C:7 M:3 W:6 F:1 PTS: 205
Equipment:
Perfectly balanced hammer: same as the smiths granting him S5
shield
Mithril armour
Master of Metals: Celembrimbors knowledge of metals is flawless, he is the innate ability to pierce the weak point of any armour knowing exactly where to strike to render it useless. Due to this models may never receive any bonus from their defence against strikes from Celembrimbor.
Trust to your armour: Celembrimbor has forged his armour by his own hand and knows it to be the match of any blade in middle Earth, this leads him to fight recklessly in battle, letting his opponent blows glance from his armour and smite them in return, Celebrimbor may chose to automatically lose any fight he takes part in, however he chooses to do so, though he must still back away he may strike blows as if he had won the fight. Note he may not get bonuses for stiking trapped models for doing this and may not strike blows if not normally allowed to do so (for example transfix) and counts as losing the fight in every other way, models supporting celebrimbor may not strike blows if he choses to do this.
Lord of Eregion
Inner strength

Both of the new rules could be a bit much and he would be better served by having just one of them I think but just throwing Ideas out there.

I think the problem with my profiles is that they would be hard to use in a normal game due to the new special rules and would be better used amongst a group of friends. However yours would be far more acceptable and easier to pick up, I just don't like seeing unique models made into a dull profile.

Squire

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 am

Perfectly balanced hammer: These hammers strike with crushing impact yet their perfect balance allows the smith to wield them in one hand, they grant the smiths of Eregion +1 to their strength

It's kind of neat as a rule but I hope you don't mind I don't like the idea of strength 4 elves like urukhai. I love elves and their fight skill but their skill isn't smashing things, its a sort of fluid grace.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Return to The Free People - Elves