Throw Stones
Options
• Bow …………………………………………….………………. 5pts
• Pony…………………………………………….………………. 5pts

Site Admin

Re: Hobbit Captain - Playtest

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:53 am

About this profile:
The Shire has no non-unique heroes available, which means there is a hard-cap on the army that doesn't exist for most others. This fills the gap by allowing an unnamed Hobbit captain to led a warband of halflings.

Compared to Peregrin and Meriadoc, Captain of the Shire
This is very firmly based on the above profiles. The unnamed hobbit is slightly less impressive with just 1 Fate to their 2, and costs 2 pts less because of it.
It has one additional option; a bow, which costs the standard 5pts that a hero with might pays.

The result is a hero that, by design, people would be unlikely to take instead of Merry and Pippin, but likely to want if they've already added the named characters.

Villager

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Seems fair, will give it a try. I find Pippin to be worth his points so I'd say this one would be too.

Squire

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:41 am

The bow costs more than a hobbit with a bow!
I kind of like the idea of little 33pt hobbit heroes on ponies. For the Shire!
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Site Admin

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:26 am

Arwen wrote:The bow costs more than a hobbit with a bow!

True, but 5pts is the convention when a might-possessing hero is attached to the bow. This situation isn't unique; bows for goblin and orcs heroes cost as much or more than one of their basic warriors, and they're not nearly as good a shot with them as a Hobbit Captain.

Villager

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Now all I need to do is find someone who will sell me 60 hobbits :lol:
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Villager

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:53 pm

This Profile doesn't fit to well.

Rivals Merry and Pippin in their combat forms, Out Performs Sam and Farmer Maggot. Do the Shire really need such a Cheap and powerful hero.
Let me put it this way. One of these Hobbits can have a really good crack at killing a Dunedain or Ranger of the North.

I don't think Comparing these little hobbt captains to Merry or Pippin is a good way of "working" them out. Hobbits by their nature are a "flood" style army they overwhelm. Hobbits had a rudimentary "model cap" on their army because all of their Leaders were named. This was 84 models for 545 points with a maxed bow limit. And we want to increase that model cap by 13 for another 68 points?

I feel this will get out of hand very quickly.

Think serious consideration needs to but on what an Unnamed shire hero will do to the army. Let alone the combat stats of the Hobbit.

I feel that a "Tax" on the model needs to be put in-place here to literally increasing the points on the model because holly crap the models in this army are so good dam cheap. Because when I ask my self do I realistically want to play against a 100 model shire Army at 1000 points my answer is always going to be no.

I think that the points on this model should go up by another 5 and that the attacks should go down to 1. Simply to even out the amount of warbands that one can field.

P.S. We totally need to rename the profile to 'Hobbit Civic Leader' in homage to our nearly forgotten war of the Ring game.

~Kylie

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 am

I don't know if is was a rudimentary "model cap" on the army or just an arbitrary one. 84 models is already possible so 100 models at 1000 pts isn't that different.

Hobbits are cheap as chips though, that is true. Thing is Goblin Town can go for 156 models at 1000 pts or 150 with a goblin scribe :o and that is in the game already. With built in chittering hordes support rules.. I just don't see people do it because everyone wants trolls and big hitters too.

Site Admin

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:16 am

This profile won't be added to the 1st edition of the Unrelease Profile document. I'd like to see more views on whether it liberates the army from an arbitary restriction, or enables hobbit spam.

For the latter, I am not personally convinced it creates a new problem since even armies like Minas Tirith with their cheap heroes and captains can go as high as 93 models at 1000 points (85 heavily armoured Warriors with shield/spear/bow and 8 heroes). However it's a valid concern since Hobbits are 'so damn' cheap'.
Playtests or opinions welcome.

Standard Bearer

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:24 pm

The case for/againt unnamed Hobbit heroes is a tricky one. From a background perspective, the 5 named heroes present during the War of the Ring/Scouring of the Shire are plenty to represent the uprising then. However, anybody who wishes to field a thematic horde led by Bandobras is stuck with the same named heroes who really shouldn't be around yet. Anybody looking to add some Hobbits to a Arnor force faces the same issue.

From a gaming point of view, however, the current number of heroes allows a horribly cheap horde (with incredible archery and a daunting number of rocks for that one turn), its only saving grace being the cap implemented by the limited number of heroes. Simply spamming Hobbit captains with 4 archers and 8 militia will get a full warband for 68 points. That's 14.7 full warbands at 1000 points, or 189 models. Up to 58 bows (hitting on 3+). No, for all that is sacred in this world, just no. Perhaps a few additional named Hobbit heroes for during the Scouring (a few Cottons), maybe something to solve the lack of possibilities for those looking for a correct Greenfields host, but a normal captain profile is dangerous.

Apart from the above, I concur with previous posters as to the power level of the 'Captain' (and indeed, a different, non-military title would be better). No armour; only Merry and Pippin have that - normal Hobbits would have no use of it. Almost certainly no 2 attacks either, seeing how even mighty Sam doesn't have those. Did any of e.g. the Cottons ride ponies during the Scouring? Otherwise, keeping these on foot may also not be bad. Purely taking them as leaders, rather than unjustifiably effective fighters.

Next
Return to The Free People - Others