3/4+ 3 3 1 2 5 1 5 1

Wargear:
Hand Weapon, The White Cat.

Army:
Harad and Umbar

Special Rules
Terrifying
The White Cat
Queen Beruthiel is accompanied by her pure white cat at all times. If Queen Bethuriel is in combat she may always make an additional attack for her White Cat. The Cat provides 1 extra attack during a combat with a fight and strength value 1 (roll separately from Queen Beruthiel) which cannot be altered by Might points.

Magical Powers
Transfix Range 12" Dice Score 2+
Compel Range 12" Dice Score 3+
Curse Range 6” Dice Score 4+
Wither Range 6" Dice Score 5+

Options
• Black Cats of Beruthiel
………………………….……………….… 7pts
(She may take a maximum of two "Black Cats of Beruthiel" upgrades, each on a single infantry base)

========================

Black Cats of Beruthiel (Cat)
Move 6"
F..... S D A W C
1/- 1 3 1 2 2

Special Rules
Cats of Beruthiel
During her move, Queen Beruthiel can draw line of sight and range from her Cats when casting a spell
Sinister Servants If Queen Beruthiel is removed from play, her cats are also removed.

======PLAYTESTING=====
Edits: The profile has changed from the mightless Paralyse caster first proposed to a more standard support caster. The points cost has increased from 55 to 65.
Changed from 1 cat to: She may take a maximum of two "Black Cats of Beruthiel" upgrades, each on a single infantry base
Special rule clarified: Cats of Beruthiel[/b] During her move, Queen Beruthiel can draw line of sight and range from her Cats when casting a spell

Site Admin

Re: Queen Beruthiel - Playtest

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:03 pm

About Queen Beruthiel

She was a Black Númenórean, married to a king of Gondor for political reasons. Queen Berúthiel was feared and reviled in Gondor, and at last her husband the King banished her from the realm.

She had nine black cats and one white, her slaves, with whom she conversed, or read their memories, setting them to discover all the dark secrets of Gondor, so that she knew those things 'that men wish most to keep hidden', setting the white cat to spy upon the black, and tormenting them. No man in Gondor dared touch them; all were afraid of them, and cursed when they saw them pass

About this profile
This profile for Queen Beruthiel is based on the Barrow Wight, which is why she can't have any Might points (the first paralyse caster with Might should not enter the game through an unofficial profile :) ). She has a poor combat statline, but has an extra wound and fate to compensate for being D4 instead of D7. She has 6 will (BW have 5) and costs an extra 5 points.

The cats

A single stand with one of the game's weakest statlines, this is a thematic addition that represent the way they acted as her spies and terrified people.

Villager

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:38 pm

But Channeled Paraylse might be fun :twisted:
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Squire

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:32 pm

I like this.
Would she get ten cats - separate models with a normal base - for 6 points? How would you deploy those?

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:29 am

yeah what's the go on the cats, is it 6pts per model or 6points for multiple cats and is there a limit to how many?

I would like to see str 3 and 1 might if possible.

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:42 pm

When I thought about how you would write rules for Queen Beruthiel I honestly didn't think of having the Cats as separate models. I really REALLY like this Idea.

So we got Cats, a Crazy Voodoo woman and some spells things are a bit all over the place here. I think their needs to be some clarity and Order to her profile as well as some more options available to her.

I'm going to go on a similar vein her to how Celebrain was written but try something a bit different.

First thing I think we should take a Look at is her stats. I'd like to see her Strength and Defense equalized her to be more like Eowyn so a base of 3 for strength and defense would be more appropriate.

The Second thing stat wise I would change is her Might, Will and Fate to 1/5/1. The reason I think this would be a better alternative is it gives her more play and counter play options. Might means she has some defense in a strike if needed or she can use it offensively for a Channel or something. The

The Third thing is a light change to her Cats stats. 2 wounds is a bit much for such a small model not even broodlings have that many.

The Last thing I would change is her spell List.
Having Paralyze on a 55 point that can draw line of sight from a Pet is... well absolutely terrifying. The fact she can have 10 Cats means that she can overwhelm a target by over saturating where her spells COULD come from. and with the cats having such a low profile hiding them is easy.
I also think Paralyze on the Queen is a bit to direct for my liking. The queen was married off for political reasons so her approach to dealing with enemies would be subtle and less obvious more cloak and dagger with a touch of deception rather than Boom your paralyzed deal with it.

I think the following powers would be a better suit or her.
Curse, Terrifying Aura, Sap Will, Wither and Drain Courage.

I know I added the Spell terrifying aura but i think she should be a bit more like the Mouth of Sauron here when it comes to terror. If she wants that terror she needs to commit resources into getting it up, it also means she can boost it with might to make herself EXTRA terrifying.
Curse, Terrifying aura, Wither and Drain courage are also really annoying spells that can be quite difficult to deal with especially when you take into account the fact that Queen Beruthiel can send off a group of her cats and then cover them with spells.

With the above spells changes I think we also have the option to create some shenanigans with her cats. If her any spell casted on Queen Beruthiel affects her cats as well we get a really funky situation where we can overly spells like fury and terrifying aura on the Queen and have the cats receive them from the otherside of the board. But at the same time any enemy wizard can use this against her by casting a Black dart on her or a Sorcerers blast and splash the spell effect onto the cats.

This creates a really cool dynamic where theirs play and counter play around one special rule. on top of this with 4 spells and 5 will you can alter the way you want to play her, you can hold her ack get terror up and use her cats as objective grabbers or you can go aggressive get in close and try and get a close range Wither or Curse off to cripple an enemy hero.

The last two things I would change make to her is One change her subtext from (man) to (woman) same as eowyn. and Move her to the Harad and Umbar army list. It is my understanding that she is a black Numenorian that hails from Umbar. One of the last mentions of her was when she was banished. She was last seen heading south on a ship with her cats back to her original home. IE Harad and Umbar.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Ber%C3%BAthiel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Ber%C3%BAthiel

All together these are my Proposed changes.

Queen Beruthiel (Woman)
Independent Character

Points Value: 65 (119pts with 9 Cats)

Move 6”
F...... S D A W C M W F
3/4+ 3 3 1 2 4 1 5 1

Wargear:

Army:
Harad and Umbar

Special Rules
The White Cat Queen Beruthiel is accompanied by her pure white cat at all times. If Queen Bethuriel is in combat she may always make an additional attack for her White Cat. The Cat provides 1 extra attack during a combat with a fight and strength value 1 (roll separately from Queen Beruthiel) which cannot be altered by Might points.

Magical Powers
Terrifying Aura Range 'Self' Dice Score 2+
Drain Courage Range 12" Dice Score 2+
Sap Will Range 12" Dice Score 3+

Options
• Black Cats of Beruthiel………………………….……………….… 6pts
Beruthiel may take upto 9 of her Black Cats in her warband even though she is an Independent Character.

========================

(mounted on a single small base)
Move 6"
F..... S D A W C
1/- 1 2 1 1 2

Special Rules
The Cats of Beruthiel Queen Beruthiel's cats are linked to her in more ways then one. If Queen Beruthiel is ever effected by a magical power, or Special rule then her Cats are also affected. If Queen Beruthiel is ever removed as a casualty then all of her cats that are remaining on the board are also removed as casualties.

Sinister Servants Queen Betruthiel has trained her cats to be sinister servants sulking about the homes of her enemies finding out information. Queen Beruthiel may draw line of sight and measure range for her spells from her cats.

~Kylie

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:22 pm

I like your take on that profile a lot more. Paralyse would have been absolutely terrifying with 6 will points and crazy line of sight. She's not more of a mouth of sauron mould which I like a lot more.

Site Admin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:38 pm

It was only supposed to be one base of cats :D
"Options • Cats of Beruthiel………………………….……………….… 6pts" written in the same format as " Options •Throwing Weapons………………………….……………….… 5pts"
I do understand how there confusion though, since her back story has her with 'nine black cats and one white'.

Thanks for posting an alternative profile. Interestingly enough it is similar to one I had originally written and discussed with a couple of people (Rigg and Matthew Smith) which was then replaced with the paralyse version. That may be a better, more acceptable set of spells, and would free her from a zero might restriction.
Note that the original profile had up to 2 cat bases (not 9) with multiple black cats on one. I think changing to something more similar to what Lady Kindle posted above and the earlier non-paralyse profile would probably make the most easily accepted profile, but without the full clowder of cats :D

Site Admin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Yes it is a word! :ugeek:

Site Admin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:00 pm

I'd like to action several of the suggestions; the change of spells and dropping of paralyse, making her become allowed 1 might, the profile re-labeled 'Woman', moved to Harad and Umbar.

For the cats, I think the idea her primary one being essentially a version of Sebastian is a good one, but that the others should be as many models as a player wants to fit on a single base. 9 would be a bit much :D

2 wounds to represent it's more than one Cat. 6pts is probably still fair, since that's the cost of 2 hobbits. It's a maximum of one upgrade, so its rules can remain simpler.

She is Black Numenorian, so Terrifying can be a special rule instead of a Magic Power.

The result is a profile that I think blends several of the best ideas discussed for the model.

Queen Beruthiel (Woman)
Points Value: 65

Move 6”
F...... S D A W C M W F
3/4+ 3 3 1 2 5 1 5 1

Wargear:

Army:
Harad and Umbar

Special Rules
Terrifying
The White Cat
Queen Beruthiel is accompanied by her pure white cat at all times. If Queen Bethuriel is in combat she may always make an additional attack for her White Cat. The Cat provides 1 extra attack during a combat with a fight and strength value 1 (roll separately from Queen Beruthiel) which cannot be altered by Might points.

Magical Powers
Drain Courage Range 12" Dice Score 2+
Sap Will Range 12" Dice Score 3+

Options
• Black Cats of Beruthiel
………………………….……………….… 6pts
(She may take a maximum of one "Black Cats of Beruthiel" upgrade, mounted on a single base)

========================

Move 6"
F..... S D A W C
1/- 1 2 1 2 2

Special Rules
Cats of Beruthiel
Queen Beruthiel can draw line of sight and range from her Cats when casting a spell
Sinister Servants If Queen Beruthiel is removed from play, her cats are also removed.

Next
Return to The Easterlings, Harad & Umbar