Lurtz, Raid Leader of Isengard

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Site Admin

Lurtz, Raid Leader of Isengard

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Lurtz, Raid Leader of Isengard (Uruk-hai)
Points Value: 110

Move 6”
F...... S D A W C ... M W F
5/3+ 5 6 3 3 4 ..... 3 3 3

Wargear
Armour, Hand Weapon, Shield, Composite Bow

Army:
Isengard

Special Rules
Raid Leader Lurtz may use a shield while armed with his Composite Bow (Range 18", Strength 3)
Hurl Shield Lurtz counts as armed with a Throwing Weapon

======PLAYTESTING======
Edit 17 Nov 2015: Changed 'may use bow as a throwing weapon' to 'Hurl Shield' (same effect, it's simply cooler)

Site Admin

Re: Lurtz, Raid Leader of Isengard

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 pm

About this profile
This is one of the most requested profile updates, and for good reason; as an early release, the iconic character Lurtz soon became one of the weakest of Isengard's Captains.

The profile itself is very heavily based on the update given to Shagrat when he got a peak-profile as Shagrat, Warleader of Cirith Ungol.

The differences are Lurtz is D6 to Shagrat's D7, and gets to use his shield in combat in a thematic manner, while Shagrat has a cavalry-style knock down rule (but no bow). Of the special rules, I believe Shagrat to be superior due to his damage output vs enemies he has knocked to the ground, so this profile was given the same points cost as Shagrat. If playtesting proves otherwise it could be adjusted up slightly.

Squire

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Great.

Villager

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Awesome. Yes please.
I've been using vrasku instead of lurtz for 5 years haha.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:59 am

I'd rather say he can throw his shield on the charge rather than his bow. It makes no difference to how the character plays but the fluff is in keeping with the movie at least.

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:30 am

rumtap wrote:I'd rather say he can throw his shield on the charge rather than his bow. It makes no difference to how the character plays but the fluff is in keeping with the movie at least.

You have to do this!!
Just look at this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJf8puSIXTg
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Site Admin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:44 am

Clip watched, profile edited. Great idea, rumtap.

Villager

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:34 am

Perfect profile!

Squire

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:50 pm

It's so perfect for Lurtz I don't know why Gameworkshops never just made it like this.
Great.
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

Villager

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:49 am

Lurtz....

I don't think I haven't meet an isengard player that hasn't asked for a better version of lurtz ad ideas have been rattling around people's heads for years.

The first thing's first I don't think slapping a better bow on lurtz is the best way to display his prowess as an archer, their is nothing wrong with the humble orc bow.
In war of the Ring Lurtz actully had a special for his archery so I propose this social rule instead of his composite bow.

Assassins Shot: Lurtz may re-roll any failed to-hit, to wound, or 'in the way' tests he is required to take when firing his orc bow.

The second rule I'd like to steal from War of the Rong that would be interesting to add is the Mighty Blow special rule. This would turn Lurtz into the ultimate glass cannon (which I think is awesome) it makes his damage comparable to Shagrats but can still be blocked out by heroes with a lot of Fate.

One major thing I'd change however is his defence. Yes yes I know Lurtz is tough as nails and what not and you'd really like defence 6 on him. But I like the idea of defence 5 on Lurtz. It makes him vulnerable it gives him more a weakness an opponent can exploit. And it also means he is not breaking rules conventions with the whole shield and bow thing.

Plus it'll make players look after him and back him up instead of needlessly throwing him into combat against a whole horde of enemies.

And honestly a 3 wound 3 fate hero is still really tanky and mean check the Wizards out they can be a pain to kill sometimes.

Lastly As cool as the scene with LUrtz throwing his sheild at Aragorn is. It's Stylisation. It happened once and was improvised. Lurtz isn't going to walk around throwing sheilds at people all game nor does he have an endless supply of them.

You don't see Legolas having a rule about skateboarding down stairs Whilst firing a bow not do you see Gandalf have a lightning sword spell. It was a stylised desperate feat of heroics that happened once. And does not represent the heroes standard abilities and skill in combat.

It's a cool thing that happened yes but we shouldnt make one isolated feat apart of his kit.

-Kylie

Next
Return to Isengard - Unreleased Profiles