Lurtz, Raid Leader of Isengard

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Lurtz, Raid Leader of Isengard

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:58 pm

While I would also have been among those who long wished for a better and more interesting Lurtz profile, I'm not sure this is it.

As an archer, Lurtz is.. pretty decent. All shots pretty well placed, with good penetrating power - although no very tricky shots and none at long range. 3+ shoot value seems fair enough, not entirely sold on him having a special bow. Would probably prefer a normal orc bow, but a special rule giving +1 to wound when shooting at a target within, say, 6".

The only fighting abilities we can judge are his duel versus Aragorn, which is tricky because Aragorn is amazing, although he would, in game terms, have lost a few might points in the preceding turns while heroic moving and combatting on the slopes of Amon hen, to reach Boromir. All things considered, 3 attacks can probably be justified. As Lady Kindle mentions, however, his thrown shield should very much be a once-per-game ability, if there really is a need to represent this act in game terms at all.

Main areas of concern are his heroic stats and toughness. Defence 6 despite carrying a bow and shield I'm fine with, for while he never really uses both at the same time (logically, no practical way of doing that), he simply should be armed with both and shouldn't be penalised for it. What would make the profile more interesting (i.e. rather than being just another hero with 3s all over the place), as well as more befitting his part in the film, would be to certainly lose a few Fate points (down to 1), possibly a wound too. After all *spoilers* he dies, and although he put up a good fight, he was pretty vulnerable when unable to shoot his enemy from a distance/keep his enemy on the ground/pinned to a tree. A 3 attack 3 might hero with 2 wounds and 1 fate would give a much more vulnerable figure, who however would dish out plenty of damage as long as he can keep winning combats. Perhaps also 2 will, simply to make him better than a captain, but not overly so.

The above would still provide an interesting, mid-high level hero for Isengard (something they currently lack), while not creating yet another typical strong hero profile. Given his level of sheer character, however, another special rule seems to be justified. Being the big bad Uruk who happily takes on powerful enemy heroes, perhaps something to represent that.. +1 to wound enemy heroes (melee and shooting, losing aforementioned shooting bonus)? A re-roll for the Duel roll when fighting enemies with a higher Fight value?
Thinking about it, he wouldn't have much opportunities to do what he did in the movie in a game of SBG. How about giving him a bonus when shooting into combats (that is, less of a penalty)? Only hits own troops on a 1 or 1-2, or re-rolls in the way for a combat?

Villager

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:54 am

The +1 vs heroes sounds fun, since it's sort of an assassin hero hunter model, but otherwise I really like the power level and cost of this profile.

Defence 6 despite carrying a bow and shield I'm fine with, for while he never really uses both at the same time (logically, no practical way of doing that), he simply should be armed with both and shouldn't be penalised for it

Too right - I expect you know when he was released he had D6. That's how old Lurtz is, it was back before they made that rule that people can't have a bow and shield at once.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Villager

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:58 am

I like the throwing weapon as a way for a hero who fights in combat to also use his ranged skill. I don't mind if it is called Hurl Shield or Use Bow because we see him do both at close range, but a throwing weapon style of attack suits Lurtzy. I guess Hurl shield sounds cooler, and we never object to the way throwing spear and throwing axe characters aren't exactly carrying an infinite amount of those either.

TLDR I really like this new Lurtz.

Villager

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:53 am

Hey, we did another battle playtest report. This had NEW DAIN VS NEW LURTZ so I will put a link here.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8421&p=85768

Talking about Lurtz and Shagrat, Jake was one of those isengarders who sometimes uses allied Shagrat profile to be Lurtz anyway, so it was the same power levels but much more appropriate rules.
Enjoy.
LOTR: 3000pts ANGMAR, 1200 MINAS TIRITH, 2000 DWARFS, 12000 ELVES. I HAVE A PROBLEM... not enough models. :mrgreen:

Villager

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:24 am

I like this profile and wrote a similar one a while back (let's face it who hasn't tried to think of ways to improve Lurtz)

The only other special rule I'd possibly consider is giving him the ability to upgrade the bows of scouts in his warband as well at say +2 points per model.

It may be a bit powerful for what you're trying to do here, but they are all modelled with the same bow so it is worth considering.

Previous
Return to Isengard - Unreleased Profiles