New The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer!

For all LOTR news, new releases and sneak peaks.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

New The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer!

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:22 pm

- RIP Fimbul and Narzug -

Warrior

Re: New The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer!

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:35 pm

The elves at 1:36 - no matter how much GW charges for them, I'm getting them. They look fantastic.

The rest of the trailer looks great too. Seems like we'll see more of Thorin's dark side, and Dol Guldur. I don't recall Thranduil ever trying to help the dwarves in the book?

Squire

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Those armoured elves, so glad PJ did not go for GW's Pajama warriors look for mirkwood elves.
Dammit, I was hoping to using my numenorians and evil more, but I may have to get some of those, if I could get metal Galadhrim could have an army with a detachment of all the elven havens of the third age..

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Elentir wrote:I don't recall Thranduil ever trying to help the dwarves in the book?

To be fair, I have hardly seen anything in the trailer that I have read about in the book.. :| From the looks of this short trailer, we will get to see another Fantasy/Action movie that happens to have use the same names as Tolkien's story. But hey, maybe it's not representative for the movie, so who knows how things turn out!

I'm sorry for sounding cynical, but still I will reserve judgement until I see it. Expectation are just not too high. I hope to see at least one or two scenes that are close to the book (like the Good-morning and the Riddle scene in the first Hobbit movie). After that, I'll just get back to my beloved Tolkien books and murmur about the unjustified changes. :)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I prefer this trailer to the old one. The old one was focused on elves most of the time but this one we see lots of orcs, dwarves, men and dragon! It makes me very excited!

Squire

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 pm

All that's left in my head now is "don't be shy, step into the light"
I prefer that one to the old one. More evil!
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Warrior

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Fëanor wrote:
Elentir wrote:I don't recall Thranduil ever trying to help the dwarves in the book?

To be fair, I have hardly seen anything in the trailer that I have read about in the book.. :| From the looks of this short trailer, we will get to see another Fantasy/Action movie that happens to have use the same names as Tolkien's story. But hey, maybe it's not representative for the movie, so who knows how things turn out!

I'm sorry for sounding cynical, but still I will reserve judgement until I see it. Expectation are just not too high. I hope to see at least one or two scenes that are close to the book (like the Good-morning and the Riddle scene in the first Hobbit movie). After that, I'll just get back to my beloved Tolkien books and murmur about the unjustified changes. :)

I totally understand where you are coming from here, but nobody could just translate the hobbit straight from the book onto the big screen. I'm not saying I agree with everything PJ has included, but you have to give the guy credit.

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Elentir wrote:I totally understand where you are coming from here, but nobody could just translate the hobbit straight from the book onto the big screen. I'm not saying I agree with everything PJ has included, but you have to give the guy credit.

Yeah, you always hear people saying that you can't literally translate a book to the big screen. I don't believe that. I do believe that you cannot translate it literally to a move if you want to make such a huge over the top production though, but I didn't ask for that. Also, what we saw in the first Hobbit movie was not a translation, not an interpretation, but a re-written story, in my opinion. The changes were so vast that the entire feeling, the charm, the ambience of the book was lost for me.
I'll give PJ credit for making the books and the world more popular and better know to the masses, maybe drawing in more readers who could for themselves explore the fantastic world Tolkien created. But as an adaptation of the books, I just don't like it all too much.
But I won't waste too many words on this any more, I don't want to be too pessimistic. ;)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Translatio, imitatio et aemulatio. You can literally get the movie from the books on the screen - which may or may not work. In the case of the Lord of the Rings, it could. The Hobbit, slightly less so, unless it was to become a children's movie. Although a tad grim to modern tastes, most of it is still very 'friendly' and harmless. The preferred atmosphere, at least for me, would be similar to that of the Lord of the Rings movies - which were not only pretty good adaptions, but also great movies in their own right. Finally, there is the possibility to change aspects to improve the story. And while PJ and his team have definitely changed a large deal for the Hobbit, I have yet to find much in the way of improvement. Involving parts of the Appendices would give the story the background and wider impact it was supposed to have, but instead, I still don't understand what exactly was going on in their version of Azanulbizar, Smaug claiming Erebor or Azog chasing the company around Middle-earth.
Let's just call it homeopathy: some claim it works, but to me it just feels like something terribly diluted and with not much potency left in it.

I just hope the emptiness of the movies, assuming the subsequent parts will not deviate from the first one in that respect, will not discourage people from trying out the wonderful books.

But, to end with some positive notes:
1) Not enjoying the movies will lead to me not watching them more than once, leaving only feint memories and as such not having much impact on how I'll picture things in the book next time I read it.
2) Gandalf still is great. Last time, the scenes with Gandalf and Bilbo, Gandalf and Galadriel and Bilbo and Gollum were excellent, which at least left some good memories.
3) Legolas is bound to end disappointed. That's not quite worth however many minutes will be spent on that pointless storyline, but could still be entertaining. :mrgreen:

Standard Bearer

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 am

It seams to me the Peter Jackson decided to actually put the characters in the film. The elves are barely in it really, the 'elven king' as he is most often referred, is mentioned and has almost no dialog, Bard takes like three pages of the whole book combined in all his parts. So though you may complain about how it is not a literal translation, a literal one would not make for very good film.
Seriously the enemy would show up with almost no reason to be there. Bard is introduced and within the same page kills Smaug, so he sort of pops in there just in time to kill the dragon, it may work in the book but in a movie you want people to know the heroes a bit longer than that.
I think this pace gives us a bit more of a fans version of a peek into middle earth that we are likely to never see again and whatever entertainment we take from it is just that. Remember the book will still be there long after the movie fade from memory and you can have your Literal version of the story all you want as that is the only way you will get it the way YOU envision it and as Tolkien wrote it.

But for the trailer, we know the love interest now and we can squash the rumours about if being Fili. We know the what the spiders will look like. We know that the orcs will not just show up at the end in some surprise so we can have an enemy that continues to be and that ties into the elves story line. We know that Thorin does start down his road to madness and puts out Bilbo which I think is the most important aspect of the story between Bilbo and he. It looks like it will be a much deeper version of those few chapters they cover in this film. IMO
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Next
Return to News