New The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer!

For all LOTR news, new releases and sneak peaks.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: New The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 am

Out of the frying-pan indeed!

Looks great...can't wait to see it...i'm still cautious if they've extended Legolas's role too much...I would of been happy with a fight cameo for a few seconds in 5 armies....and unsure how a third film is going to play into it as it looks like this is pretty much the entire story???

Looking forward to all the new miniatures...and hopefully we'll get them before the films released in November like last year...fingers crossed
King of the North!!

Warrior

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:07 pm

I don't think Desolation of Smaug will include the Battle of the Five armies and the events leading up to it regarding the Arkenstone. I think it will end [SPOILER ALERT] with the death of Smaug and possibly Bilbo finding the Arkenstone in some hidden crevice. Then film 3 will be the whole mix-up with the arkenstone, the goblins gathering in the mountains, probably the conclusion of the Dol Guldur storyline, and the battle.

Standard Bearer

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Sithious wrote:Remember the book will still be there long after the movie fade from memory and you can have your Literal version of the story all you want as that is the only way you will get it the way YOU envision it and as Tolkien wrote it.

Yes, of couse, that's a good point and I realise that. :) I guess that's the point, that I prefer my vision on Tolkien's Middle-earth over his. But hey, I'll stop here, and reserve judgement till after I've seen it.
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Warrior

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 pm

I wish I was a really awesome sketcher so I could secure my own imagination in pictures...

One of the things I most liked about LoTR was it was so real (or as real as it gets in a fantasy world. Huge, complex, real and believable. That is partially why I very much dislike unrealism (such as double weapons (a dagger perhaps, just for the quick stab while caught unawares but not any large weapons)).
From the looks of this trailer (good though I think the trailer is) it looks like alot of things I find unbelievable and unreal (such as the double bowed ballistae and plenty of flying-while-firing elves) have made it into this film. This is my major worry when it comes to these films and I hope it won't be so obvious as to spoil it.

Just my thoughts...
What we need is a few good 'taters.
What's 'taters, precious? What's 'taters, eh?
Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant
backlog comlete: 2/80

Standard Bearer

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:18 am

My biggest concern, though livable, is that Thorin appears to still have the Elven Sword. So the elves return it to him after they catch them? is Thorin still caught first and held for a long time before the others? And do the elves return the weapons and send them on their way or will Bilbo pilfer the weapons back as part of the escape. I think Orcrist being laid upon the tomb of Thorin by 'the Elvenking' was a nice peace gesture in farewell, as was placing the Arkenstone. So some of those moments in the book seam to have been stolen away buy the grand sweep of making a over the top fantasy adventure... Peter Jackson does got a bit excited (example King Kong) about his fanboy films.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Site Admin

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:29 am

Looks great.
I'll probably line up the Lord of the Rings films and watch them all in a row before going to the cinema :D

Previous
Return to News