Tales of Middle Earth Updates

For all LOTR news, new releases and sneak peaks.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: Tales of Middle Earth Updates

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:47 am

Around the year 1050, a shadow of fear fell on the forest later called Mirkwood. As would later become known, this was the first sign of Sauron's manifestation, but for many years he was not recognized. He was known as the Necromancer. He established a stronghold called Dol Guldur, or the Hill of Sorcery, in the southern part of the forest not far from Lórien.

How to paint Games Workshop's The Fall of the Necromancer model in a more fiery scheme, similar to what was seen in The Hobbit movies.

Site Admin

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 am

Excellent.

Squire

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:30 pm

Great model, thanks for the guide.
I know many people like to paint the side of the base brown, but sometimes it "eats up" some other colors. With some earthy models it doesn't matter, but with others, such as this Necromancer, the spectres, the war Galadriel etc, when there is some strong visual/magical effect purpose with the colors, the brown base side messes it up a little. The yellow and red would be brighter and hotter with just black base side (or one could even try to smuggle some really dark blue or green in it).
But this is just me being smart - I couldn't paint a model like that ;)
I like also the GWs green vision of the Necromancer, but those scenes in the Hobbit films were just so great, that it is hard to think the Necromancer any other way anymore.

Villager

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 am

Superb.

cheers
Greg

Villager

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Kalle wrote:Great model, thanks for the guide.
I know many people like to paint the side of the base brown, but sometimes it "eats up" some other colors. With some earthy models it doesn't matter, but with others, such as this Necromancer, the spectres, the war Galadriel etc, when there is some strong visual/magical effect purpose with the colors, the brown base side messes it up a little. The yellow and red would be brighter and hotter with just black base side (or one could even try to smuggle some really dark blue or green in it).
But this is just me being smart - I couldn't paint a model like that ;)
I like also the GWs green vision of the Necromancer, but those scenes in the Hobbit films were just so great, that it is hard to think the Necromancer any other way anymore.

Lol you spotted something that I hadn't completed on the model. Originally this was painted a green scheme as per GW with my standard brown base. I use that for most models, except those that are going to be used exclusively in rocky/castley type locations (I am mainly a narrative scenario player), so he should have a grey base.

ANd thanks for the kind words guys, good for the ego and encouragement to produce more articles and content :D

Squire

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:22 am

Yes gray would work of course. And keep on producing!

Previous
Return to News