NEW Lord of the Rings Hobbit Rumours and Model News

For all LOTR news, new releases and sneak peaks.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: NEW Lord of the Rings Hobbit Rumours and Model News

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:16 am

With all the interesting developments these days, I'm starting to dare believe in this one as well. :)

Standard Bearer

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Some news from Ardacon: Iron Hills Dwarves will be £40 (for 12), Dain £40 as well, ballista £50. For now just available through Forge World, but there are some reorganisations happening behind the scenes and, well, who knows. The upcoming book will be available through GW however. Pre-orders for the Iron Hills go up next weekend.

Villager

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:45 pm

So, as many of you have probably seen, the preorders available for Dain and the new warband of dwarves on the games workshop and forge world webstore.
Anyways, the price is slightly shocking. Would this be a standardized pricing if they are re-releasing the LOTR and the Hobbit lines? Or would the pre-existing lines be similar in price to what they already are? Seeing as GW probably still retained copies of the old molds and is not creating an entirely new product?

Standard Bearer

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:40 pm

We have already been seeing prices for re-releases over the past months: from the Captain of Dale and Girion to the Scouring of the Shire and the Shade. Metal models are more expensive than they were, finecast re-releases the same price. There is nothing to indicate they will somehow re-release or rebrand the entire line as you seem to suggest: the models currently available through GW are just that and will remain so, at those prices.

To what extent the new releases are expensive is relative - of course they don't compare well to plastics, let alone LotR ones back in the day, but they are a third cheaper than the latest Finecast soldiers were (12 for 40 pounds versus 12 for 60 pounds). At current exchange rates (Forge World doesn't calculate standardised prices in other currencies) they are even better with the plummeting sterling; e.g. nearly half the price of Finecast soldiers in euros. Dain certainly costs more than I had expected, but the cost of soldiers means a small army will still be cheaper than expected overall.

By the way, for those that haven't seen them yet, here are the temporary rules from the FW website: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/ ... _Rules.pdf
(Going from memory, they are in fact the final rules, minus additional options that will be available to the soldiers.)

Villager

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:54 am

Perhaps I have been misinformed. I was told by people at the local GW stores, that the entire LOTR and Hobbit ranges, were to be liquidated of current, still existing stock then the models were to be recast in the Forge World resin and sold exclusively through the Forge World arm of GW as a specialty game.

I do not know if the GW sales reps are correct (from the sounds of what you're saying it seems that they aren't) in what they were saying, but that is what I was basing my questions off of.

Standard Bearer

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:18 am

Typically, GW employees know as little as anybody else, getting their information and rumours from the same sources we do. This story fits with general rumours that have been going on for years about supposedly stopping the production of metal models (back then, everything was to be made into Finecast resin - which happened to some extent, but never fully - now Forge World resin replaces that in the same context). Given that they have been making new metal castings for the Scouring of the Shire, the Shade, Gandalf the Grey, Defenders of Rohan and the Final Fate of the Witch-king (or indeed all kinds of sets that have never been out of production), as well as setting up the new 'Made to order' programme (currently 40k) that once again brings OOP models back in production (in their original material: metal), that idea seems well and truly unfounded.

Of course, I also only have limited knowledge on the topic, but I would say there currently is nothing to indicate the aforementioned rumours to be true, and a few reasons for it not to be. Hope that helps.

Squire

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:29 am

The new prices are a bit high, but after the shock of seeing what things costed during the Hobbit BoFA-releases it doesn't hurt that much.
For me there is still a lot to get in the old Lotr-line, so as long as those prices don't leap crazily I can afford some new more expensive things.

Villager

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:53 pm

If you look at GWs web store coding there is already a Forgeworld link there but not yet active, its been there for roughly a month I believe.
The rumour is before the end of the fiscal year they will be one single webstore and some select fw products will be sold in gw stores.

Villager

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:45 pm

RIGG wrote:If you look at GWs web store coding there is already a Forgeworld link there but not yet active, its been there for roughly a month I believe.
The rumour is before the end of the fiscal year they will be one single webstore and some select fw products will be sold in gw stores.

That seem like a more probable alternative to what everybody was telling me... I'm more curious to the scale on what they plan to release, and how frequent those releases will be. I want new models!!

Actually completely unrelated, has anybody been able to find any of the profiles for the Gundabad Orcs? The desolation of Smaug Sourcebook is not available in Canada anymore and the five armies pdf GW put out, doesn't have the profiles, and neither does the original goblin town rulebook if I'm not mistaken (don't have it, only have the "one ring" rulebook)... Kinda makes them an unplayable model to me at this point, aside from using them as normal orcs.

Site Admin

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:52 am

We're now planning our first local event to commemorate the new rules, probably for December 18th Sunday.
Looking forward to it!

PreviousNext
Return to News