Multiplayer Priority Roll

For all questions and clarifications concerning the Strategy Battle Game rules.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:05 am

Hey all! Just played in a really fun four person objective controlling scenario, the only qualm I had with it was how priority was resolved. All four players rolled for priority and the player with the highest roll won the priority. How the game priority was determined after that though was that priority went counterclockwise from the player who won, regardless of what was rolled by the other three players. Myself and another one of the players had a hard time agreeing with this, as we thought that the turn priority should have strictly been based off what you had rolled. After the game, one of the two players that had argued for priority being assigned to the highest roll and then counterclockwise commented saying that he thought it should have been strictly based off of the dice rolls, but had argued for the counterclockwise rule as it would allow him to move third instead of last for the first turn of the game. How is priority resolved with four players going against each other?

The game had some really epic moments in it: my Legolas shooting a mounted Dragon Knight down in a single turn; a mounted Amdur, a mounted Easternling War Priest, and a giant spider getting blown up by an Uruk demolition charge disguised as a paralyzed hobbit(the bomb also took a bat swarm down to one wound which was then killed by a wood elf archer later in the turn); and another player's Legolas getting outshot by a handful of goblin archers.
"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."
—Thranduil in The Desolation of Smaug

Villager

Re: Multiplayer Priority Roll

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:45 am

I probably would have never agreed to play a priority like that. Did you know these people on a friend basis?

Anyway, what were the four armies made of and what about the objectives? Any more info?

Warrior

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:05 am

I would say in this situation if two or three people tied for the priority roll, that they would reroll if neither of them had priority last turn. If one did have priority and one didn't the person without priority would get it. That way it kinda keeps with the theme of having priorty last would have the hardest time to get it. Then I would do priority in the order of the people who got the next highest roll and then the next and then the next and so on and so forth.
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Squire

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Knife in the Dark wrote:I would say in this situation if two or three people tied for the priority roll, that they would reroll if neither of them had priority last turn. If one did have priority and one didn't the person without priority would get it. That way it kinda keeps with the theme of having priority last would have the hardest time to get it. Then I would do priority in the order of the people who got the next highest roll and then the next and then the next and so on and so forth.

Thanks Knife, that standpoint is exactly what I was arguing for. Glad to see I'm not crazy :lol: The issue for selling this point is that the rulebook mentions nothing about a four player free-for-all, so the other player latched onto that fact :| The main argument for the counterclockwise priority method was that since mainly ever other board or card game follows a counterclockwise rotation for gameplay, this one should too. I am not very good at heat of the moment rule debates, and looking back I now see how foolish of an argument that was. That would be equivalent to saying that the rules poker apply to Uno. Based off how the priority is established in The Lord of The Rings Strategy Battle Game for a two player match, the same principles should be applied to a four person match.

Boromirs_A_MAN_Suck_It wrote:I probably would have never agreed to play a priority like that. Did you know these people on a friend basis? Anyway, what were the four armies made of and what about the objectives? Any more info?

The board had nine paralyzed hobbits on the board as objective markers equidistantly spaced from all four players. Only three hobbits were live hobbits, the other six were Uruk-hai demolition charges disguised as hobbits. The marker identity was revealed once five models were fully within 3" of the hobbit. The player who had the most models within the 3" when the identity was revealed scored 1 VP. If the hobbit was a bomb, the player then rolled on the Uruk-hai demolition chart to see the effects. For this game, the bomb radius was expanded from 2" to 3" so all models who triggered it were affected. For the controlling one of the three hobbits at the game end by having the most models fully within 3" of the hobbit, a player scored 3 VP. Once one player was reduced to 50%, on the following turn before priority a dice was rolled and on a 1 the game ended. The next turn it ended on a 1 or 2, and continued in this manner till the game ended. It was quite an enjoyable scenario, and used rules and models that you don't see much in the paralyzed hobbits and the Uruk bombs. This was a 600 point match. There was a Moria force of Durburz, four or so Gundabad captains, and a ton of regular goblin troops; an Easternling force of mounted Amdur, mounted War Priest, mounted Dragon Knight, a Spider Queen, two giant spiders, a bat swarm, and some Easternling troops; a Mirkwood force of Legolas, Haldir, a Wood Elf captain, a sentinal, a wood elf banner, some wood elf troops, and the Fellowship Boromir allied in; and my force of Legolas, Haldir, and Rumil with 36 Wood Elves(12 with bow+spear, 24 with throwing daggers+spear).

Squire

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:54 pm

That's a pretty cool idea for a secnario, only I'd probably play with "baggage" not hobbits :)

I would have gone with priority going to whoever rolls the highest, exactly as in a normal game, that's why it isn't in the rulebook/FAQ, because it is already described in this way, no need to repeat. Going clockwise/CCW would mostly be pretty fair, but in the chance one or 2 people win a lot more priority, it would be fairer to the other players to go off the dice roll instead of not doing much for multiple turns.

Warrior

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:51 am

Just as you do it with two players. Only now you may want to mark down the order of priority as it may be hard to figure it all out in your head in the case of ties.

Warrior

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:32 am

HostofMirkwood wrote:Thanks Knife, that standpoint is exactly what I was arguing for. Glad to see I'm not crazy :lol:

Glad to help it does sound like a fun think to try!

How did you settle fights with 3 or all players involved in a fight?
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Squire

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Knife in the Dark wrote:How did you settle fights with 3 or all players involved in a fight?

We actually never had that happen during the entire game length! Each player was forced to respect the flanking force of each enemy to his side, so it prevented this situation from occurring. My best guess at how to handle this would be to have a rule stating that a model may not charge into a combat in which two enemy models are already engaged in. This would eliminate any further complexity in determining how the fight phase would proceed. I am open to hearing suggestions on how to run a fight phase with three or more separate players in base contact! Any ideas guys?

Squire

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 pm

The way my group handles multiple player fights is to just have the players all fight as normal. The player with the best roll wins as normal (applying fight values of course). If there is a tie, then you simply roll a Dice and divide the results by the number of players like so:

1-2: Player 1 wins
3-4: Player 2 wins
5-6: Player 3 wins.

The winning model may chose to strike anyone in the fight and treats all other models from other players as enemy models for purposes of Heroic Fights.
This is of course assuming you play by normal rules. there are many shops that just re-roll tied fights, which is fine too.

Squire

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Legion wrote: This is of course assuming you play by normal rules. there are many shops that just re-roll tied fights, which is fine too.

Yes, I play by the normal rules to the best of my knowledge. This is the first type of mutliplayer individual battle that I've played in, and is a definite change-up from the prototypical tournament style battle that I usually play in. It was a rather fun scenario and I would recommend giving it a try if you are seeking for a different taste of battle.

Return to SBG Rules Queries