A few rules queries for an advanced beginner

For all questions and clarifications concerning the Strategy Battle Game rules.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

A few rules queries for an advanced beginner

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:57 pm

1. For the new Hobbit Gollum, does the Sauron rule apply to him? e.g. does the "good player" do a courage test to see if he moves him while he is wearing the ring?

2. For the "barge" brutal power attack, does the player controlling the monster control the 3 inch movement entirely? e.g. can they move the model in a specific path that would ensure it cannot move the full 3 inches and is knocked prone?

3. Can a sorcerous blast be used by a good player where another good model can be affected? The rules are silent on this but it would seem to be inconsistent with other good rules where no action can be taken in the shooting phase where it might affect another god model (shooting into combat/good in the ways, siege weaponry)

4. If a cavalry model does a piercing strike special attack and they lose a fight, can the striking player choose to lower the defence of the horse/warg?

5. Will the knight of umbar copy the fight value of boromir with the white banner after the fight has been increased by one?

Thanks!

Squire

Re: A few rules queries for an advanced beginner

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey!
These are good questions! Somebody more experienced please try to answer them.

Villager

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:05 pm

As far as I can imagine/reasonably assume... (I new and haven't become familiar with some of the new rules)

1. Not sure. :)

2. Also not sure. ;D

3. I don't believe you can use it in that situation. Even if the good model was 6" away and wasn't likely to be effected by the resulting blast, Gandalf still couldn't cast it as it could POTENTIALLY harm an ally. However, in my experience I've found that because magic is cast at any point in the movement phase that you can actually move and cast with Gandalf before/between/after charges in order to ensure you can still perform Sorcerous Blast without threatening an ally while completing the intended warrior movements also. It's not likely therefore to often be a problem but I believe in any situation where there is potential to foreseeably harm an ally then the action cannot be taken.

4. I was about to say realistically speaking it should only be the rider (as he is the one exposing himself for a larger swing). However, the argument could be made that a rider NOT piercing strike-ing would also likely be able to protect his horse better too (by blocking the enemy swing for example). For simplicities sake I would say that only the rider can suffer the defense loss however.

5. Yes I believe The Knight of Umbar could take the increased Fight value (as Boromir's Fight Value is increased at the same point that the Combat Mimicry ability comes into effect). So in that case he would be F7.

Villager

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:00 am

After reading the faq's more carefully I have realised the Knight of Umbar has been clarified - he copies the unmodified values of his opponents. This would mean base values to me.

I would suspect too, on reflection, that piercing strike only affects the values of the rider - the warg (for example) will not increase his strength due to the axe or pick.

I'm going to have a great time trying to explain this interpretation of the sorcerous blast rule to my flatmate! Gandalf is a favourite of his...

Squire

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:12 am

I have been living/playing under the impression that the models, that are knocked prone because the blasted guy flies through them, suffer a minor hit and these of course can not be Gandalfs friends. Also everybody involved into fight with these (who get the minor hit and are knocked prone) will be knocked prone, but won't get any hit.

But the thing that friendly models might get knocked prone (not getting any hits) would not stop Gandalf from blasting.

Return to SBG Rules Queries