NEW Lotr Hobbit FAQs released: All the changes

For all questions and clarifications concerning the Strategy Battle Game rules.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Site Admin

Re: NEW Lotr Hobbit FAQs released: All the changes

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:44 am

Q: If a model calls a Heroic Strike, do you roll to increase their Fight value at the start of the Fight phase or at the start of the model’s Duel? (pg 59) A: At the start of the model’s Duel.

So wait, does this mean that uruk hai captains etc can never out fight my elf lords as long as whenever they call heroic strike I call heroic Combat with the elf they are fighting? They never get to use that might to add to their fight score? Great but it sounds too easy...

It's actually has the opposite effect:
Your Elf Lord would call his Heroic Combat and get to fight first, BUT the enemy captain would now be guaranteed to get his Heroic Strike at the start of his duel.

This clarification/change improves the reliability of Heroic Strikes. You now know you will get the benefit if you call one.

In addition, an enemy using a Heroic Combat to fight first won't even know how much of a bonus the enemy model has yet. They might think twice of charging a heroic striking hero as their second combat after winning their first.

Standard Bearer

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:49 am

Arwen wrote:
Q: Can you rotate/spin one of your own models in your opponents’ Move or Shoot phase? (pg 21) A: No.

What do you think this means? I sometimes make my archers face the enemy so it looks more dramatic, do you think they are trying to stop this, or is it about oval based things like dragons?

It is (was) previously possible to rotate your models outside of your movement phase (note that the above only affects moving models in the opponent's phase), allowing you to change a model's position after the opponent moved or as they were shooting to suddenly block line of sight. You now simply have to anticipate any potential shots and move your models in the right positions beforehand (although I too would rather turn models to look good rather than to gain an extra in-the-way roll somewhere).

Q: In situations when a model can draw multiple lines of sight to large models, who gets to choose which line the shot takes? (pg 33) A: In these situations, the shooting model's controlling player should roll a D6 before rolling To Hit. On a 1-3, the Evil player chooses the path that the shot takes. On a 4+, the Good player may choose.

Is that like for things with more than one head? or eyes that are far apart?

It's not so much the starting point of the line of sight, but the fact that the lines are drawn to any point of the enemy model. After all, if there was just a single line, in-the-way rolls would not exist: there would always be an unobstructed line, as that is the fundamental requirement to take a shot in the first place. Larger models will more often be in a position where there is not just a clear and obstructed line, but several obstructed lines, with a different number of obstructions (and thus in-the-way rolls, and thus chances to hit). This tries to resolve that by devicing a system that selects a path, instead of hitting no or all targets along the potential paths.

Squire

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Q: If a model is armed with an Elven blade, lance or any other similar weapon that bestows an advantage, but chooses not to use it in a Duel, does that model still gain the advantage of having that weapon? (pg 68) A: No, the model must be using the weapon to gain its benefits. Similarly, a model will not benefit from having an Elven blade if they choose to use a shield.

"To use a shield" is that shielding or just having a shield?

Standard Bearer

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 am

Shielding, as just having the shield (and having it confer +1D) is a passive effect - has been confirmed, although I don't know why they didn't simply write shielding in the first place.

Squire

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks.

Previous
Return to SBG Rules Queries